MIT Technology Review: LED Lights

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi all -- this is my first post. This forum is very interesting and prompted me to order an Inova X5T, CMG Ultra-G, and Eternalight XRay Elite. Right now they're in the mail and I can't wait to get them!!!

Anyway, I found a useful article on the web today. Check it out.

MIT Technology Review: LED Lights

Ben

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Ben, Welcome to CPF !
smile.gif

Interesting article, but to tell you the truth, I don't think Simson Garfinkel is a LED guy...
tongue.gif

The Infinity is too big? LOL, he should check out the Arc AAA (mandatory carry for every member...
grin.gif
tongue.gif
)

Anyway, have fun here and enjoy being a member of one of the most friendly boards out there...

Take care,

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, nebben123! I disagree with the reviewer/writer of that article, about the Infinity and Ultra. He certainly doesn't know much about LEDs (if anything). He automatically compares them to incandescants. He lets his bias get in the way of his reviews. I have both infinity and ultra (civilian).

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
An interesting story! Thanks!

Although, folks new to LEDs (like this writer) don't always get it all entirely right.

His statement "they use dramatically less power, produce negligible heat" isn't really true but can seem that way in the low power flashlights where you find LEDs today.

As you'll see in postings on this forum, in higher output applications, LEDs aren't much (if any) more efficient than incandescents). Also, when you start really trying to throw a lot of light, 5 watts is 5 watts and still produce appreciable heat. In fact, for LEDs it is quite important to heat sink that heat away from the LED.

It reminds me of a posting I saw on the net from a guy that saw one of the inflated claims for battery life for an LED flashlight (like 200 hrs). He assumed this was constant light output and that it meant that LEDs were 2000% more efficient (or something like that). His page went on and on about why there must be a gov't conspiracy hiding this amazing efficiency from the public.
smile.gif

LEDs are great for durability and in low power applications (like the Infinity) can give useful amounts of light for a truly amazing length of time...but it isn't yet the technology that will "save the world".
smile.gif

I have Photons (3), Infinitites (3), ARC AAA and a PT Attitude...lov'em all! Welcome to a truly enjoyable forum experience...one of the best, IMHO!