Red colour beam flashlight recomendations

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
ok so I tried a red filter in my opalec newbeam AA mini mag. not bad. Tried the filter in a stock AA mini mag. we all know what thats like. So my question is what light should I get that will have a red beam. Either red leds or incan with a filter will do. main use will be work and reading things while maintaining night vision. so it will all be rather close up work. For size somthing around the same size of an AA mag is what I'm after or smaller of course if it has the brightness to go with it. Run on AA's due to runtime (prefer liths or rechargeables or alks) or cr123's if it has crazy runtimes over 5 hours. Preferabl not modded other then maybe changing the blub or adding a filter. As for price somthing rather cheep say under $20 US ($30 Cdn) and not to exotic. I would like to be able to buy it here in canada as oppose to have to mail order it. but i will if I have to.

Cheers and thanks for the advice.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd look for an Infinity in red. I've got one and find it to be superb for map reading. Runtime would be way over the "crazy" 5 hours you seek. .

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
A red photon freedom is nice. You can adjust the brightness of the light so that you keep your best night vision.

Another possibility is a red Inova X5. It's a bit more than what you wanted to spend, but it's a whole lot brighter, too.

davidra

Enlightened
I have a red Inova. It's a great light, but in general it's so bright that it will overwhelm your night vision if you use it up close. I know it's more than you want to spend but I bet a perfect choice would be the Peak AA (I think it's the Kilimanjaro) which you can get in red.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Judging by your criteria, my vote goes to a Gerber Trio w/3 red 5mm LED's. $20 from batterystation, shorter than a minimag, excellent build quality and provides a rich flood of red light on 2 AA's of any sort. Runtime should be at least 10 hours- probably a lot more (I'm still on my first set of batts.) My only concern is that the light might even be too bright for close up- but you said you wanted bright! The perfect red light to walk with as red is hard to see by in general. Provides enough for easy navigation and the light is true red- not red/orange like the red luxes.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
How dark will it be where you are using the light? For upclose work, I think something with variable brightness is exceedingly helpful.

flashlite

Enlightened
You've essentially described the Infinity Ultra. Smaller than the AA Mag but still bright, runs on a single AA Alkaline, Lithium or rechargeable battery and it's under $20 ($30 Can.). Gerber advertises a run time of 100 hours on a single AA battery but that's probably a little aggressive. You might be able to find a retailer near you in Canada but mail order is probably easiest.

UPDATE: According to this thread, the ORIGINAL red Infinity finally died after 112 hours on one battery. Right up until the end, there was apparently still enough light to read something up close.