Cold weather and new Energizer Arc White

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Well, our first real cold snap is here and I figured I would try out the lithium AA'a in my flashlights that I carry in my automobile. It turns out, in the new dual torch/fluorescent from Energizer (Arc White), the fluorescent portion has a delayed start up, remaining dark for approx 20 seconds, as well as a longer "warm up" time to full brightness. The ambient temperature inside the car was -2C (28F) when I performed this test. Of course, the torch (incandescent) section illuminated immediately with no noticeable difference in brightness from room temperature operation. I guess I can assume that this is due to the nature of fluorescent and cold cathode type tube lamps. I have a compact fluorescent porch light on the house, and in the winter months, it takes a full 5 minutes to achieve full brightness.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The same thing happened to my Coleman lantern that uses dual flourescent tubes. And I tried one of those florescent replacement bulbs outside (while I still lived in Alaska). Same thing. Poor performance until it warmed up.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Brock

Flashaholic
I have found the "earthlights" work pretty well outside. It is has same problem with a warm up. Since the tubes are enclosed in a globe it warms up pretty fast and starts even at -10F. I would guess about 2 minutes to full brightness. I will have to go put my Arc white outside and see what it does
smile.gif
its 21F and just getting dark now.

Brock