3w - 5w led using AA batteries?

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Hi guys,
could anyone tell me if there's a LED flashlight out there that puts out between 3 watts to 5 watts of LED light, but uses only AA type batteries? So far, all my flashlights uses the now common 3volt CR123 type. But I notice that I have tons of AA rechargable batteries at home too.

I don't care how many AA batteries it uses at once, as long as it's AA.

Oops. forgot to mentioned that I prefer the Luxeon led.

Thanks in advance.
Warhoggie

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber LX 3.0 Three watt LED, uses three AA's.

The Streamlight Jr. Lux is "only" a one watt, but is about as bright as several of my 3 watters. Uses two AA's.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
eTendue said:
EL XM-3 can use a rechargeble AAs ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have been using 2000 mah NiMh rechargeables in my XM-3's. They work fine.
JB

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
But don´t expect a "real" 3W Output when you buy a XM-3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. It´s a great light and it has a Luxeon III inside, but the LED is driven below 700mA (remember: you need 1000mA to reach the "official" 3W), so it won´t be a competitor to your T3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. You may look in the "Elektrolumens" sub-forum here on CPF for further info and check out the good review sites.

Btw, there aren´t many 2AA lights on the (commercial) market and IIRC no one with real a 3W output. Most mod solutions are going for 7xx mA and only a few use the 1000mA.

I would take a XM-3 or a Streamlight Jr. Luxeon (overdriven 1W) ...

You won´t find a 2AA solution for a 5 Watt Lux, because this simply makes no sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Let´s assume, that you find a capable circuit for that, at 2.5 amps or more your batteries won´t last more than a couple of minutes, I guess.

lamperich

Enlightened
Yes Lux5 has double input voltage of a Lux 1and 3. It really makes no sense to boost 2,4V to over 6V
THE Companys even arent able to boost 1,2V to 3,6V @100mA! look at the different output of an Nuwai 0,5Watt 1AAA and 2AAA.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

But there was an 2AA Lux3 Flashlight out there.

Look at this.
ILLUMINATOR III HD - Brinkmann Legend 2AA cell flashlight modified with 3W Lambertian Luxeon LED and DC/DC regulator.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lambda/il3.htm

I would love to own a Lux3 with High/Low switch AND the ability to focuse....:) of course 2AA AND with overdischarge Protection :)
a058.gif
I: The the smilie with the guitar She: maybe Nuwai /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chao

Enlightened
I just see 1w blaster Jr review from Japan..(really bright, you can image 3w Blaster Jr may...).wish it helpful to you

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Cool, thank you all for the help! In regards to the Elektro Lumens BL-JR 3AA flashlight, does anyone know if it's a flood light or a throw light?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chao's Japanese review web site (of the 1W Elektrolumens Blaster Jr.) sure makes it look like a throw light, so my guess is that the 3W is also a throw light.

Also, waion (who has a good rep) sells what looks like the OEM version of the same light here.