what would you had recommended to my co-worker?

wquiles

Flashaholic
In the last couple of weeks I have shown to one of my co-workers a couple of my lights, most of them LED based. I told him about the CPF's, and although he is not ready to dive in to the (sick/twisted?) world of a flashoholic, he surprised me with a question yesterday:

"My son is maried to this wealthy family and he pretty much can get anything he wants, which makes it hard for me to give him a gift. Since you know more about lights that I do, what special/unique light would you suggest as a gift for my son?"

I told him I would help him but that I would need a budget. He said no more than $150-200. I said great!

So I though, what would be a really neat and unique? Since I am a flashoholic-in-training, I still don't know that much, but I recommended the new HDC (Basic and Premium) and the Orb (the Orb is SOO COOOOOOL!). He liked both of them and carefully reviewed both of them yesterday afternoon. Later that day he told me that he bought the HDC for his son!

So given his question and budget, which 1-2 models you would have recommended?

Will

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: what would you had recommended to my co-worker

Surefire L4 with McGizmo's 2-stage switch.
Firefly

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Go for the bump and get a one-off McGizmo creation marble or chrome finish. They just don't look like every other 'flashlight'. But the HDC is definitely a good choice. Neat versatile electronics to play with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wquiles

Flashaholic

Yep - the electronics and programability of the HDC were the deciding factors for my co-worker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

An L4 with the two stage switch or the L2 (similar, but factory ready) would have been cool choices, but he looked at the Surefire units (even the U2) and did not feel that was quite what he wanted - maybe too much mass-market for him.

Will

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh... BTW I meant to write Marble Aleph by McGizmo ... that is THE light I hope to get this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Niteowl

Enlightened

wquiles, I think you did good with the HDS suggestion. That's what popped into my head right away as something few others would have or even know about unless they were into lights a little too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Let us know how it goes over with the son.

Mark