Using a flashlight to make toddler walk

DaveT

Enlightened
I pick the kids up from daycare daily. For the past week or so, the sidewalks and crosswalks have been too snow-covered/slushy to use the stroller, so my wife's been carrying the 13-month-old in the baby backpack and walking the 2 1/2-year-old to daycare.
However, on the walk home, he's been terrible for me - walks about a half block and then whines and wants to be carried, while I'm carrying his sister and a bag of baby clothes/diapers etc. Not going to happen. Well, we had our escalation from whine/explanation/cry/encouragement/refusal to walk/timeout...well, this got old and we still weren't home (and it's only about 4 blocks). Then I got the kind of inspiration only a flashaholic could get. I shone my current EDC (OK, if you really want to know - older KL1 modded with an RXOJ on E1E body/Z57 clickie) on the sidewalk in front of Sam and said "Hey, get that light!" Then I tried to step on the hotspot, keeping it just in front of my foot. My daughter started giggling in the backpack, and then Sam started chasing after, trying to stomp on the hotspot. With a few stops where I let him catch it and stomp on it, I was able to keep him moving along the sidewalk to our door, without a single whine.
OK, so it worked that once...last night, he couldn't be humored into it and I just had to keep hold of his arm and propel him along.
Anyway, he's already started down the road to flashaholism.
Dave

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Teach 'em young..
My son, same age as yours wont leave the house without his Mini-m@g, today he made me buy a set of rechargable batteries because he keeps leaving it on. ($8 at the dollar store).
When he goes to bed he demands all the lights are off in the house so he can navigate with his light. In my wifes eyes I have graduated from the "A$$ with all the flashlights" to the "Dumb A$$ that tought his kid about flashlights" When he has it holsterd on his belt it looks like a 4 cell, he's so small.
Get rechargables!

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
My three year old son was afraid of monsters in the closet until I gave him a Dorcy Luxeon 3xAAA flashlight.

I slathered the rim of the bezel and a bit of the reflector with glowpaint so he can find it in the dark, and to enhance the cool factor. He loves the annoying flash function. It's been dropped onto the floor countless times, and still lights up. It runs great on NiMHs.

Now Owen won't go to bed unless he has his blankie and his flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Best $20 I've spent on flashlights yet!

Topper

Flashaholic*
Just wait! it works on teenage boys as well "Son you dang well better find my flashlight right now" yes he has his own but mine are easier to find.
Topper

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
Teach 'em young..
My son, same age as yours wont leave the house without his Mini-m@g, today he made me buy a set of rechargable batteries because he keeps leaving it on. ($8 at the dollar store).
When he goes to bed he demands all the lights are off in the house so he can navigate with his light. In my wifes eyes I have graduated from the "A$$ with all the flashlights" to the "Dumb A$$ that tought his kid about flashlights" When he has it holsterd on his belt it looks like a 4 cell, he's so small.
Get rechargables!

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahhaa, thats awesome piper

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
DaveT, I am in the same boat as you. If my 17 month old son doesn't want to do something such as lay still for a diaper change or to get his hair washed, it can be a huge struggle that leaves us both at wits end. When I was a kid, fathers just "made" their kids do stuff at the threat of their life, but that doesn't go over so well these days. My wife just walks up and says "I'll let you play with a special toy" and he will do anything she wants. Then she gives him her watch or something and that's all it takes. Of course you always have to come up with some new special toy. Your flashlight trick worked once, now just keep coming up with new ideas. Maybe next time he can hold the light as long as he keeps walking. I've learned it's not about telling them what you want them to do, but making them want to do it themselves. Good luck!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yeah, it's like offering them to drink orange juice or apple juice. Make'em think they have a choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif