Whigh light is best?

Surefire_Rocks

Newly Enlightened
What light is better: the E2o outdoorsman or the U2 ultra- both from Surefire? Why?
-Ian-

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi:

Before someone else asks which is better, a Ford or a Chevy...

both are outstanding lights for their intended purpose. Now, I think you'll get a lot more replies if you refine your question a little bit.

Okey dokey? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eh, it's like apples and oranges. The U2 will have a nice flood while the simple 25 lumens of the E2o will still have a better spot focus. Anything over 50 feet and the E2o will be better, anything closer and the adjustability of the U2 will be better (since it's nice to have dim light up close-doesn't blind you).

wquiles

Flashaholic
Man - those are SO different, let alone price-wise!

How would you use it? Would it be your EDC in a pocket or something to use indoors/ourdoors?

If you can afford either one, in other words, if you have about $250-275 to spend, from those two I would buy the U2.

If you are open to other brands, the HDC would also be a great buy in that budget, and of course, I would consider a McGizmo: McE2S stich (for two-level brightness), the 1x123 and the 1.5x123 bodies for a couple of battery options, a 3 or 5 watt LE (light engine), and the Aleph 1 or 2 head - I bet you can get all of that for less than the U2, in a smaller package, and extremely versatile, plus you would be able to change parts at will later on.

Will

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Hey - that's easy! Buy 'em both! And go ahead and get a KL1 head for the E2O. Then you'll have a nice EDC light (E2O), and one of the most advanced lights available with a wonderful combination of throw and spill (U2) for walking around. You should carry two flashlights anyway! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But seriously - they are very different lights. The E2O, being an "E" series light is highly customizable. You can buy lots of great after-market stuff for it, as well as accessories from SF. It is pretty pocketable, too. It's an incandescent.

The U2 is a lot more expensive, but it's a lot more advanced light. It's like an L5 with 6 different regulated output levels. So since you can mostly keep it on a fairly low level, it is easy on batteries, plus it will take rechargeables. It's a bit larger, though, and probably not as easy to EDC for some people. (I think it would be hard for me to EDC, but others do it all the time.)

If you can afford it, I'd go with the U2, unless you are looking for something to keep in your pocket all the time. (Or unless you have big pockets!) Why the U2? Well, if you can afford it, the variable light level seems like it's pretty darn useful to me, and it's one of the most advanced lights out there. (I don't have one, but I've used other variable output lights, and I think this is a beneficial feature.) It's not a big light, by the way, at least by the standards of a 2D cell flashlight. Compared to that, a U2 is actually pretty small. It's just larger than some of the tiny, yet bright, lights available. It's small compared to my SF L6, which I just love!

The two lights are aimed at different customers, and they are really pretty different lights. It really would not be silly to own both of them. (Provided, of course, that you can afford and desire to spend that much on flashlights. From most people's perspective, it's probably completely silly to own either one of them, much less both of them...)

Hey, you could just as easily go the other way, save a bundle, and get just the E2O. It's a terrific light and it's a lot cheaper. And there are a lot of guys here who will only trust an incandescent light - hotwire's ain't dead!

Hope this helps - your question is a little bit like asking "which is better - fish or chicken?" (Fish - I'm real tired of chicken at the moment.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Niteowl

Enlightened
I've got the E2e and bought the MN02 bulb for just that purpose. Works real nice. The modularity is a plus also, as you can go to LED easy enough if you want and a brighter incan should you desire. The U2 is out of my reach money wise as a one time purchase, but I can afford extras for my E2e once in awhile and change it as my needs differ. It's kinda fun trying out different combos.

Mark

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Surefire_Rocks said:
Ya, I could get the U2, but I camp a lot. What would be better for camping?

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to cpf, I've got both lights and U2 is way better for camping.

simply hang U2 in your tent. low setting last for many hours. perfect for tent duties.

simply dial in brightness on demand. Way better choice than E2E.

but ony if you can come up with the extra $$$

Latest posts