mag 85 assembly

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
How do you build a mag 85. I've read stuff about it but I'm new to this so the fine details dont make a lot of sense. can I have some one build it for me, if not where do I get the parts to build it myself. It sounds so good but I dont know how to get it.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is almost no "building" to it, other than taking out the old parts and putting in the new parts. The hard part is FINDING all of the parts you need.

In short, you need a new lens, reflector, bulb, bulb socket, batteries, battery holder. That's 6 different things from 6 different places. Then you put it all together.

paulr

Flashaholic
Bjn, that description just hits it perfectly. One thing not mentioned is that each of those parts (except the batteries and lens) is not that easy to get. You can't just order them whenever you feel like it, you have to wait for the next group buy or batch to be made, or wait til your missing shows up on B/S/T and pounce on it before someone else does. Also, you need at least one battery charger, maybe several if you want to charge all the batteries at the same time.

I have most of the parts for an Mag85BT with a few more expected to arrive soon (WA bulbs and MC switch core) from the group buys, but I've begun to think it's kind of a questionable project. An MC60 is almost as bright, much more practical to use (drop-in charger), is much easier to acquire (buy a stock Magcharger and put in a 1160 bulb), and ends up costing about the same. If you get the 3-to-D's and 1185 bulb, you can upgrade it to an MC85 and still use the stock charger by removing one resistor.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
where can i get the 3 to d's, bulb socket and the reflector, it sounded like a aluminum reflector is hard to get. also if im just using it in short bursts like to light up a mine shaft for 10 to 15 seconds, do i really need a new reflector? a new lens sounds like a good buy anyway.and thanks for saying what i need, i was only able to get bits and pieces from reading other posts.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
if i used 9 AA, what mili amps should i go for, is more better, or will i burn out the bulb to easily

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is no LED, the 1185 draws 3-3.5 amps. You also have to keep a close eye on your batteries. The best thing to do is buy a cheap smart charger and regularly top them off. Just remember to let the batteries rest a few hours before turning it on so you don't flash the bulb.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Thanks for asking this question because I am trying to get one together also. I just bought a pack(3 ea) WA 1185 bulbs from the BST so now I need the rest. Can someone actually tell us what the actual parts that are needed and who usually sells these parts. Thanks

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You may NOT have my place in line.

Fivemega is the guy for reflectors. Supposedly by mid Feb he will offer. He also has some WICKED looking 9AA-3D holders coming!

Flashlightlens.com is where to get lenses (UCL)

You can get bulbs HERE and M*gcharger Switch (for the bipin pedestal) HERE

Any other questions?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use the stock switch/bulb pedestal. Also, you can optionally use a Borofloat lens from Flashlightlens.com instead of the UCL lens.

As stated, fivemega for the cammed aluminum reflectors. Used to be able to get the 3AA-1D battery adapters from Elektrolumens but I don't think he has anymore or if he will be getting more in. So waiting for the fivemega adapters lokks like the way to go. And of course you will need a potted WA1185 bulb if you choose to stay with the stock switch/bulb pedestal.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I have bunches of bi-pin WA1185 bulbs. I will be receiving bi-pin WA1160 bulbs in a couple of weeks. Additionally, I have 50 POTTED WA1185's coming in the next week or so as well.

I'm working on stocking reflectors as well but I'm not that close on reflectors yet.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
thanks for the web sites, a few more questions than i can stop bothering you. what is the term "potted", is it a alternative to not buying a new switch assembly? the "108-106 Rechargeable Switch Assembly" is the right one right? and is a reflector from the magcharger not a suitable swap for the ones from fivemega? Should I buy extra bulbs just in case of a failure?
As a side note, do you have to use any regulating system if a bought a luxeon 5 and wired it to one of my old headlamps?

once again, thanks

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Potted = putting a bi-pin bulb in a PR base. (standard flashlight bulb)
MC reflector is not swapable in a regular M*g.
Buy extra bulbs
Lux 5 to headlamps is not "that" easy.

paulr

Flashaholic
Offroad, I really do think you're better off starting with a Magcharger instead of a 3D Mag. That solves the reflector and switch problem immediately, and makes battery charging a heck of a lot more convenient, without adding significant cost, and maybe even costing less. You still need 3-to-D's but you could start out with an 01160 bulb instead of an 01185 and then use the stock MC battery pack and charger.

If you're looking for absolute maximum output, even the '85 is small potatoes compared to a 100 watt halogen lamp like the one in the USL (2D Mag mod with 3000+ lumens and about 5 minutes runtime). I'm having serious second thoughts about putting a Mag85 together even though I now have ALL of the parts either on hand or on their way.

Note there's a group buy for a new run of Fivemega 8aa-to-2D's. These are a little fussier than 3-to-D's but they let you put eight AA's (you have to be a little careful about what brand, since the diameters vary) into a 2D light. That could give you a slightly dimmer Mag85 variant that's smaller and less likely to blow lamps (8 cells instead of 9, so less overdrive). I might do that instead of a 9 cell Mag85. A 3D Mag is the same size as a Magcharger so there's just really not that much attractive about using it. A 2D is at least smaller. And I'm wondering if there's some other 2D light that would be a suitable platform and is smaller still.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
So... how many lumens does the Mag Charger with 1160 bulb produce? Either bulb lumens or 'out the front' lumens?

edit - Never mind... found it thanks to this great MagCharger thread.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
thanks, I have a 2 D light lying around somewhere that I can use. But everything else is just the same except for 8 cells? right. I'd like to keep some sort of budget so I dont want it too expensive, but im open to ideas, I'd like to get something to replace my Underwater Kinetics sunlight C8 as by "bright light" for my trips, preferably something with a little more range and brighter. as I said before Im open to ideas. thanks