Any Mario Kart 64 champs out there?

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sister just bought a N64 and Mario Kart 64 (we obviously had a deprived childhood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) and I'm looking for some tips.

Can anyone tell me how to get a mini turbo on a straight? I just can't do it. I can do it around corners, but that's about all.

BTW I like Yoshi but I'm open to suggestions.

I may be too old of a dog to teach new tricks but I'm willing to try!

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the countdown starts for a race, dont hit gas till the split second that the lights change to green, you will get a boost. I think Yoshi is the best. Most mobile for his weight. Mario Kart kicked butt!

Cameron

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
We don't have this game, but my son (I) rented it once. He didn't think the mini turbo was possible in the straights. I am familiar with some of the other N64 games. I especially enjoyed Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Golf, and for an extremely challenging time try Pilot Wings 64. I think with Pilot Wings you either love it or hate it. No telling how many hours I spent trying to master it, and it can be done.

Geoff

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pilot Wings, is that the game that you can fly the small helicopter with missiles, jet pack, jump HIGH, and skydive or something? If so, I totally remember playing that one. I loved it for about 20 minutes of play, then all the sudden it got boring like crazy.

Cameron

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys, I know about the turbo at the start, but I've seen people do a mini turbo (when the smoke from a powerslide turns orange) in a straight line so I know it's possible, but no-one seems willing to give up the secret. Maybe it just needs a million years of practice.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Google it.

I am a Mario Kart 64 CHAMP! Kirby was my favorite. But alas, my brother has long since moved out and taken his N64 with him. He was just jealous I could totally kick his butt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Google is probably the best source for tips...corner tubos, I can do them, but haven't a clue how to go about explaining it.

Mario Kart 64, my second favourite multiplayer game ever. First however (also on the N64) is still Perfect Dark. Shame about the framerate...and NEVER give the sims explosives though...

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just drive the hell out of the car. I got to the end. THe end is a rainbow race track in outter space. They have a hell of a drop and if you jump before it you fall to the bottom faster than driving. Just got to watch out for the chain chomper that rides the track eating cars.

Just learn to drive with the gas andbrakes at the same time. Slide it around a corner, dont both slowing down. Take the inside of a corner, with the gas held down, turn into it and pop the brake while holding the gas to make the car slide around it.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I bought N64 for my daughter when it came out, what was it, 95-96? I hooked it up and got it going to show my daughter how to play a video game. 3-4 months later I handed her the controls. I was hooked on Super Mario and Kart. I am no champ but I did finish both before giving it up. Our box died long ago but the reflection from this thread made me smile. Thanks

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I like best about the game is that when you pass the gorilla on his go cart, it sounds like he says real fast, "God Damn It, God Damn It". I got one in rehab and got this game, mario, turok, doom, fire fox and a few others. There is one cart type game that has this elephant that talks to you and a field with frogs you can run over. I think its some wave ryder type game or something.

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I am Darth Vader of mario kart.

I will slay all who dare challenge me.

#1 I never use the brake. The trick to turns is JUMPING before you turn and sliding through it. OR jumping through the entire turn.

#2 The above comment about "Rainbow road"... the trick is to JUMP OFF the left side of the road, RIGHT at the beginning and then LAND on the track down below... putting you 1/3 of the way through the track. It takes practice but It can be done EVERY time. it is all in the timing....

Make your jump when your car passes over the THIRD blue bar. Remember, the track is a rainbow, and the colors have a set pattern. blue.... blue.... blue *JUMP* and then HARD LEFT.

any other questions can be answered by my padewon. he will bring them to my attention.

have a good one guys.

SS

stockae92

Enlightened
lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this brings back childhood memories /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
AHHH damnit, you're gonna make me buy a N64 again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Mario Kart 64 was my absolute favorite game for N64. And i was all about Warrio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have a xbox played it one or 4 times then the game made me sad so i quit playin it was called silent hill the game is so saddddddddddddddddd