Allowable battery types for LGI and BB500

MY

Enlightened
I just received my new LGI and BB500 module. I am interested in a definative answer to what types of batteries are allowed to be used in these units without compromising the LED. Most of my usage is less than 10 minutes long. I don't mind if the life of the LED is shortened by 50% - I just don't want to let out the magic smoke. The AA battery types I need insight to are: lithiums, NIMH (high capacity), and NiCads.

Thanks.
tongue.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

don't know about the BB500, but I have recently gotten an LGI2 and have done some testing with that. I have a lot of about 18 month old AA NiMH batts. With these the maximum amperage is only about 300ma more than with alkalines. I say ONLY, but thats still almost enough current for a whole another luxeon! And the LGI is very overdriven to begin with so this is definitely pushing it. I have read other postings around here from people using newer NiMH batts and the initial current is even higher. The recommendation is to let the batteries "mellow" for a day out of the charger, or at the very least don't let the light get too hot, so short bursts for the first few minutes until they settle down a bit.

I also tested with Lithiums just today in another thread. The initial current was another 300-400ma more than the NiMH! But, the luxeon didn't self distruct and the current came down to normal within the first minute or so I THINK that the danger is minimal. But again, let the heat of the lamp be your guide.

Neither NiMH nor lithiums will cause it to go poof. What they will do to the overall lifespan I don't know.

I have not tested with NiCads as I don't own any anymore.

-James

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Badboy's will work with any battery. Since its regulated it should be the same brightness regardless of the battery used. I use NiMh's in my badboy 500 and they work great.

LGI's on the other hand are officially only supposed to be used with alkaline batteries. Some people are saying that NiMh's are fine as long as they are not taken fresh off the charger. The reccomendation is to give it a 24 hour cool off period. One person just tried using Lithiums in their LGI in another thread and didnt have any problems.

MY

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I guess that I was hoping for a definative answer from these light's creators.

In addition, another battery type that I would be interested in using would be rechargable alkalines. Am I to make the assumption that they would have the same resitånce as regular alkalines?

Any other near-definative observations?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My BB500 works fine with all three battery types although in my opinion you are defeating the purpose of the light if you use lithiums unless you desire the weather/storage superior features of lithiums. I just throw inexpensive Costco alkalines into the light and it performs fine.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
MY -- I did not know you received your LGI -- last I heard you were still waiting.

Although none of the mentioned batteries have ever caused an LGI to go "poof" all at once, I know how hard the LS is being driven and thus am concerned about gradual photonic degradation over time. Then again, with the LED development envelope constantly rushing headlong onto bigger and better things, by the time we notice our LGIs getting dim, they will probably already be slipping into obsolescence.

I have used the rechargeable alkaline ("RAM" or Renewable Alkaline-Magnesium) batteries, and from tests on my own lights they do not produce as much current at a given voltage as regular alkalines. Meaning they cause the light to be dimmer than regular alkalines, even when measuring the same 1.6+V (fresh off the charger) as store bought alkalines.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just use 2000ma NiMH AA on both of LGI and BB500 for 2:15 hr continously last evening. Both of them work like a charm.

Alan

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MY:
I am interested in a definative answer to what types of batteries are allowed to be used in these units without compromising the LED
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The best and only way I know to get that information ("definitive" answer) is to do some run-time analysis using the flashlight and batteries that you want to use. Check current flow with your DVOM and time it and record trends along with battery voltage prior to the run. Then you will be able to decide what you're willing to live with.

One the other hand, there are a lot of good "general" answers already posted here.

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Slick, I just did some checking with my multimeter and found that with new costco AA's my LGI was pulling 1.7 amps. With some NiMh's that I had charged a couple days ago(I also had it run an electric Motor a bit to get the voltage down to 1.32) and when I tested these with my LGI it was pulling between 1.3-1.5 amps. After running the costco batteries for about 5 minutes or so it was pulling around 1.5 amps.

With either sets of batteries the light output is just amazing..Lights up my whole freakin backyard:)

Anyone here know at what amperage we should be afraid with these LGI'S?