Nuwai HLX-032L "3 Watt" Luxeon III Headlamp

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nuwai HLX-032L \"3 Watt\" Luxeon III Headlamp

I've had this headlamp since Monday and have decided I like it quite a lot. I bought it from advancedmart.com last Thursday and it was in my mailbox Monday morning. He only had one of them at the time, but I think he should be trying to get some more in stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I found out about this "3Watt" Nuwai in CromagNet's thread:

Headlamps Nuwai 712L Vs. PT EOS and more

I also have one of the Nuwai 712L "1 Watt" headlamps on order and I think it'll arrive today. But, it's going to find the "3 Watt" a tough act to follow.

Below are some figures of interest. The top 2 columns are from the back of the package the headlamp is packaged in. The bottom column, the Lux readings, are my own. I took them at a measured 1 meter and in the dark. I got my Meterman LM-631 Lightmeter on Monday and just now took the readings. I put the Peak readings below.

Runtime
100% 1.5 hours
50% 4.0 hours
25% 8.5 hours
Flashing 2.5 hours

Lumens
100% up to 30 Lumens
50% 15 Lumens
25% 7.5 Lumens

Throw (Lux @ 1 meter) EDIT: These readings are suspect.

100% 1251 Lux
50% 621 Lux
25% 302 Lux

When the "1 Watt" 712L arrives I'll post the Lux readings for it here as well.

I'll post some photos of the 032L later today.

Britt

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nuwai HLX-032L \"3 Watt\" Luxeon III Headlamp

Thanks for posting those links, GlowWorm. I'm slow as molasses in February with getting some photos taken and posted.

I agree, for a headlamp, that 1.5 hour runtime on 100% is dissuasive. The 712L "1 Watt" packaging says 5 hours runtime on 100%.

The packaging for both of these headlamps give the same Lumens figures for their three switch positions for output. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Of course I don't have the means to check the Lumens figures.

Tonight I'll take Lux readings for the 712L 1 Watt and re-take readings for the 032L 3 Watt and see how they compare.

I'm wondering if the Lux readings for the 032L will be higher on medium (4 hour runtime) than the Lux readings for the 712L on high

In which case, I might use the 032L similar to how I use my VIP. I normally use the medium setting and only use that cell sucking high for when I really want maximum illumination.

The 032L strikes me as a special use headlamp.

However, it is in the same physical envelope as the 712L 1 Watt. Everything is in the front on the forehead and it's fairly comfortable for me.

I've noticed that the 032L has a ~20mm smooth reflector and the 712L has a 27mm half-orange peel half-smooth reflector. I'm lousy at photographing beamshots, but I'll give it a try tonight and post them for comparison.

I don't know about heat issues with these. The 712L is still in the package and I haven't run the 032L long enough to tell.

The 8 LED Princeton-Tec Corona has an impressive heat sink arrangement and my friend who borrowed it for a Boy Scout campout said he didn't notice if it got hot or not. I didn't see a burn in the middle of his forehead so it didn't get too hot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Britt

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

HMMMMMmmmmmmm.... That 3watt sounds like not a good light.... I must be missing something here. Please correct me.

the 712L 1watt if I remember has 1250 LUX at 1m which is regulated. But lasts for FIVE hour and 22 hours on low. If this is the case then it sounds like the 3watt needs a mod to remove regulation.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just fired up the 712L 1 Watt and got a maximum Lux reading on High of 549 Lux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Perhaps there is some operator error with my new Lightmeter?

Cromag, where can I find that 1250 Lux reading for the 712L?

I'll try it again later. My Meterman LM-631 seems a little finicky in getting it to begin reading.

The beamspot of the 712L has an HID-like blue tint (which I've come to like) but the beamspot quality isn't near as nice as the 032L. Ringy. I am surprised because of the 712L's 27mm partially orange peel reflector. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

To my eyeballs, the 032L puts out a lot more light on High than the 712L does on High.

I need to check my lightmeter and my operation of it against some of my lights with known Lux outputs, to make certain the meter is up to snuff and I'm doing things correctly.

Britt

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Huh!! 549 lux?? Something is wrong. Check out Quickbeams review 1050 LUX. I got a little higher.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_hlx-712l.htm

My 712L probably looks like your 032L. Just double checked my packaging and my light to make sure I have the 1watt. It says 1watt all over the headband. Which is hella strong for a 1watt to put out over 1000 LUX. and I measure 1250 regulated.

Which brings me to segue. Do you guys think I can run the rechargable R123 batteries in this 'regulated' light??? hmmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just measured again and made certain I got the brightest part of the spot on the sensor. I double checked the distance at precisely 40" between the sensor and the lens of the headlamps.

This time:

032L on High = 1420 Lux

712L on High = 723 Lux

Could be my meter is not calibrated correctly, could be operator error, could be, but doubtful, that something is wrong with either or both of the headlamps. Could be my 712L is a lemon.

Britt

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are some photos.

Below: Nuwai 032L "3Watt" on left, 712L "1 Watt" on right:
standard.jpg

Below: Nuwai 712L on left, Princeton-Tec EOS on right:
standard.jpg

Below: Beamshots for comparison purposes only. Color isn't correct and the hotspots in the photos are brighter and more "solid" than they appear to my eyeballs. The 712L is quite a bit more ringy than it appears.

712L on High:
standard.jpg

EOS on High:
standard.jpg

Camera battery is recharging for the 032L beamshot.

StuU

Enlightened

BCO311-Thanks very much for the good photos and beamshots. Looks like I will need to sell some more stuff on Ebay in order to afford one of these Nuwai headlamps. Selling older stuff on Ebay or BST helps me keep some discipline in the flashlight purchasing department.

However, at the moment, I am busily playing with my new Pelican 2630 headlamp purchased thru Amazon. And it has instantly moved to the #1 spot on my headlamp lineup.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi StuU, thank you. I am going to have to get a Pelican 2630, I think. Too many good things said about it.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take my Meterman Lightmeter and these three headlamps up to my camera shop and have them checked out.

Britt

StuU

Enlightened

Just a note about the Pelican 2630. If you want to get a feel for the beam of this light, just take a look at your 4AA UK eLed light. The beam on the UK is just about identical to the Pelican on medium power. Maybe I will do a write-up on the Pelican as it is an impressive package.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
032L on High = 1420 Lux

712L on High = 723 Lux

Could be my meter is not calibrated correctly, could be operator error, could be, but doubtful, that something is wrong with either or both of the headlamps. Could be my 712L is a lemon.

Britt

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably just the Luxeon Lottery... no two luxeons will give exactly the same output... Could be alignment of the Luxeon in the reflector... There's a host of things that could cause the readings to be slightly different from mine.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Quickbeam. I'll get things checked out at the camera shop if I can get motivated today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Britt

PS: Would you like for me to send the 032L "3 Watt" to you for review? I'll be happy to.

mrme

Enlightened

I am really skeptical of a 3 Watt LED in a headlamp without an external heat sink. Where is all the heat going?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a good question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Perhaps the Luxeon III in the 032L isn't being driven all that hard. Compared to the Luxeon I in the 712L, given the readings from QB and Cromag, and if my Lux reading of the 032L is accurate, then the output of the 032L on high isn't that much more than the output of the 712L on high. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Here's a beamshot of the 032L "3 Watt" on high. The color is wrong, the hotspot is not that intense to my nekkid eyeballs and the flood is brighter than it appears here. I'm tellin' ya, I'm lousy at beamshots.

standard.jpg

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've started a new thread with some technical questions specific to the Nuwai HLX-712L and HLX032L. Any input is welcome: Question????