The $5,00 Nano-Mate Mod

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a simple mod that has huge rewards for a little work. This mod will install an MJLED into a Streamlight Key-Mate flashlight.

mjmate1.jpg

The stock Key-Mate (shown next a US Quarter) is very tiny and pretty bright in its own right, powered by four L1154 batteries, but the LED is always that 'angry blue' from being overdriven so much. We'll fix that color problem and increase the light output a whole bunch too.

mjmate2.jpg

The reflector and front lens are press fit in place. To remove them, use a socket to protect the black plastic LED holder and tap out with a hammer, or press out with an arbor press. Make sure the socket you use clears the threads completely or it will become wedged in the head. Place a paper towel or rag under the head assembly so the lens doesn't get scratched up.

mjmate3.jpg

Once the LED/Reflector assembly is removed from the head, we can begin the modification.

mjmate4.jpg

Carefully separate the reflector from the LED holder. Be careful not to bend the three legs on the back of the reflector too much or it will make re-assembly hard. Just pull and pry until they separate; it may be helpful to use a small screwdriver to pry with also.

mjmate6.jpg

Note that the lead going to the black post is the Negative lead. Unsolder the metal washer and set a side, it will be reused later. Take a moment and study how the LED leads are bent and formed on the LED holder. Remove the stock LED and replace with the MJLED forming the MJLED leads on the LED holder like the original leads were. Make sure the MJLED is seated in the LED holder like the original LED was. Remember the Negative (short) lead goes on the post, and the Positive (long) lead connects to the metal washer. Use solder wick if necessary to clean the small hole in the metal washer the LED lead goes into. Install the washer and trim off any excess lead length and solder the + lead to the metal washer.

mjmate5.jpg

Here's a picture of a stock assembly on the left, and one modded with an MJLED on the right. Re-install the assembled LED/Reflector into the flashlight head and press the lens in on top of it until it snaps in place.

mjmate10.jpg

Install the head on the battery tube and check for proper operation.

mjmate9.jpg

You now have a very tiny flashlight that puts out a huge amount of light for its size. Very bright side spill light with a nice bright spot in the center of the beam.

mjmate8.jpg

Here's the 'light saber' wall shot of the beam profile.

mjmate7.jpg

And that's all there is to this modification; you should be able to complete this in under an hour. The results compare very favorably against the Nano-Mate running a Micro-converter and Luxeon LED.

Lambda

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave that light to a noob who is probably coming to the flashaholix anonymous meeting this weekend.

I was wondering about the two different MJLEDs. I have one from the first batch at 250 LUX and hope to find the more powerful one in the mail soon.

Which one did you use in this mod? Will the 2nd one drain the battry quicker? Any runtime estimates on these tiny batteries?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MJLED modded Nano-Mate was modded with one of the new MJLEDs.

Here's the runtime chart:

mjnanorun.jpg

The standard of time to 50% initial brightness is 25 minutes, but the batteries continue on for another 15 minutes before caving in. However, normal use of this light intermittently would extend the battery life and brightness considerably. I stopped the test at 48 minutes as the batteries had reached their 'moon mode' level where the LED is just barely producing enough light to be useful. Don't let the low Lux numbers lead you believe it's not that bright, it's just that the tiny reflector can't focus a very tight spot. With fresh L1154 batteries the MJLED is actually brighter than on 2AA Energizer lithiums.

And here's a shot against the Luxeon Nano-Mate:

mjx.jpg

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Would three L1154's and a spacer give flatter runtime? It would of course, be somewhat dimmer.

Bill

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullzeyebill - that might be true as the current draw would be less. I'll see if I can find the time to test that theory out this weekend.

beam_me_up

Enlightened
I just did this mod tonight....works great ! My only advice to anyone else doing it is don't get smart and try to use a hair dryer on the head to try and melt the glue holding the lense in place....baaaad idea....some of my reflector started melting! luckily it didn't affect the beam hardly at all.....but just a word to the wise, follow lambda's instructions =)

cy

Flashaholic
thanks for the instrutions on pressing out reflector.