UV Lens ?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering, does anyone offer a UV lens with something similar to the coating on a blacklight? Just like a bare 52mm lens with no holder or flip-type attachment that could replace or go under the stock lens.

Seems like with a low powered bulb in a MAG, it would make for a nice budget UV project.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will a filament type bulb emit enough UV light to allow the filter to be useful? Most 'blacklights' are fluorescent, arc or LED.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't know. I hadn't really thought about that. I was just going under the ***umption that whatever light got to the filter would then be filtered out by the filter leaving just ~385-400 nm through, even if it was reduced compared to 'never having been UV filtered' light.

Am I saying that right?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Filament bulbs dont radiate those wavelengths very well. If you are going to try it on the premise that something is better than nothing, you can give it a try and let us know how it works.

I think what you are looking for is here.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... but at that price point, it stops making sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I'll keep looking on eBay and keep using LEDs until then.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
If price wasn't a factor, I think you would like it. Not a bad price concidering it cuts out all light above 360nm.

I'm ordering some UV LEDs (380nm) from these guys.

I like the 380D30.