??Brighter than Photon but not too big , also cheaper than Arc LS

Phinas

Newly Enlightened
Hi, have been lurking here once in a while , at least a couple of times a month for over two years now. would like your suggestions on what is the smallest and brightest available LED light, that is cheaper than ARC LS but much brighter than Photon 2 or Inova Microlight.

I already have an inova & photon2 but would like something brighter but small enough to put in my purse. I remembered reading that ARC AAA is not really brighter than Photon so I don't think I'd like that.

Battery type is not an issue as I'll be using this for emergency purposes only.

anyway, thanks to this board which I found by accident years ago, I became slightly "flashaholic" , well I introduced my relatives to LED, got them Photons from ebay( they were amazed) . and when I had a chance to visit the USA a couple of months ago , bought me a Dorcy Cool Blue, some inovas, a Brinkman LED and 2 Energizer small LED lanterns. I have a Princeton Tec Attitude which I haven't seen yet still waiting for my relative to bring it over this Christmas. Hubby thinks I am nuts to be getting all these LED lights but is thankful for the Photon with his keys.

anyway, thanks in advance for your suggestions.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Giving the criteria of bright but with a small footprint, the two best choices available are indeed the Arc LS and the Surefire KL1 mounted to an E1 body. The more inexpensive LS choices such as one of the mini-mag mods are probably going to be bigger then what you want to carry in your purse. So that narrows the choices down to multi Nichia LED models. The Streamlight 3N model posted above might indeed be a good choice. Another possibility might be the soon to be released Shorelite VX2
http://www.glow-bug.com/product.php?sku=72

However your PT Attitude might also be a good choice so maybe you might want to wait until you evaluate that model before making a final decision.

By the way, excuse my ignorance on World Geography but what does Q.C. stand for?

rodmeister

Enlightened
If doubling the Photon II output is adequate for your needs, try putting 1/2" velcro dots on two Photon II's and stick them together. You turn it on by squeezing it between your fingers, placing pressure on both sides.

I accidentally discovered this because I have a Photon II that attaches to my nightstand with velcro. Just out of curiosity I put velcro on a second one and doubled the output.

Phinas

Newly Enlightened
Q.C. , Quezon City, Philippines , thanks geepondy
AlphaNet and rodmeister for your suggestions. Geenpody , do you know how long (length)KL1 mounted on an E1 body would be? would this be shorter than Inova X5

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Phinas:
Geenpody , do you know how long (length)KL1 mounted on an E1 body would be? would this be shorter than Inova X5
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, it is shorter then the Inova X5 by at least a good third I should think. The Arc LS w/123 battery pack is shorter still but no switch assembly that the E1 has. The KL1 on an E2 body I think is still slightly smaller then an X5 and gives greatly extended run time (four hours or so vs. 1.5 on E1 body).

Some kind soul paste a picture of an KL1/E1 for this woman, please?

SFR

Newly Enlightened
The Photon has an advantage over the Arc AAA for the first few minutes. In the long run, the Arc AAA outshines the Photon.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Here is a pic of the E1/KL1 together with an Arc AAA. (pic by McGizmo)
group.jpg

Phinas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks , Geepondy ,you're really very helpful, appreciate it. Thanks Bart for the pictures. I think I may go for the Shorelight , Kl-1 on an E1 body is too fat and masculine looking for my purse. Thanks for all your help. Sorry to be a bother but I have one last question, would the shorelight or inova x5 be slimmer than KL-1 or be as fat too? The shorelight looks cute

d'mo , I live not far from your Aunt

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Phinas,
just judging from the pics, the Shorelight isn't much smaller.
The X-5 would be a little bit smaller because there is no protruding head.

About the Shorelight:
Originally posted by Icebreak:
It has an angled head. One length is about 3 and 5/16'. The longest length is 3 and 15/16'. It's about 1 and 1/16 ' wide and a little more than 1/2 inch thick.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
fd0115eb.jpg

Hope this helped,

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does the E1 have that hex nut? Really detracts from what would otherwise be a nice slim package. Definitely makes it less pocketable.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are varied in price and size and brightness, but here are some suggestions:

cmgtask2g.jpg

Takes 1 AA, if you put a Lithium battery in there, you can forget about it for years, is small and reliable, and about 3 dollars less expensive than the ARC AAA, with a longer run time, but is a little bigger.

emix5t.jpg

The Inova also uses Lithiums, but 2, 123a batteries, and is suprizingly small, and would last for years in storage, as long as it was not used.

As others have said, the SureFire E1e with the KL1 head, but that gets expensive.

The Attitude is a nice, inexpensive choice,
priattg.jpg

But I actually perfer the Streamlight Clipmate without the clip. Slightly brighter than the Attitude, but smaller and lighter, and at 14.95, it is a good price!:

strclipmate.jpg

Rooster

Newly Enlightened
I noticed no one mentioned a Streamlight Baton Light. This is a nice slim, but usefully bright light. It is well made, and has a momentary tail-cap button in addition to twist-on-off constant operation. If you are versed in the use of a Kubotan, it doubles as that too. Just don't try to get it through a U.S. airport without modifying its rather purposeful look with some pink and yellow puff paint.
icon15.gif
Left to Right: BatonLight, Inova X5t, SL ClipLite (green), MiniMag AA, SL Stylus3
pubimage.asp

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Rooster - That's a Stylus 3? I've wanted a Stylus 2 w/white LED, but it's not made. I thought the Stylus 3 was longer, but next to the MiniMag...it's looks fine! I think I'm going to have to throw one in the shopping cart on my next "hunt"!! Thanks for posting that pic!

Rooster

Newly Enlightened
Rooster - That's a Stylus 3? I've wanted a Stylus 2 w/white LED, but it's not made. I thought the Stylus 3 was longer, but next to the MiniMag...it's looks fine! I think I'm going to have to throw one in the shopping cart on my next "hunt"!! Thanks for posting that pic!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, the Stylus pictured is the 3 cell white, p/n 65018. I think the only 2 cell available is red, due to the lower voltage requirement of the red led. I really like mine, I have three... red, green, and white. The white is brighter than a CMG Infinity Ultra, and lasts about 8 hours before brightness becomes less than stellar. Momentary on button plus twist constant on-off tail-cap is pretty much unheard of at this price too. Quality is VERY good. Note, however that the green version displays a less than perfect beam. It has some rings that distract some folks. The green unit is the brightest though. p.s. how's Anchorage these days? I used to live in Wasilla... Is the 4th ST. Theatre still there? How about Romano's restaraunt, and the Cabin Tavern? Oh God! Almost forgot about the Alaskan Bush Company!
shocked.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I thought the published length of the Stylus 3 was about 6.2"?

>> I used to live in Wasilla... Is the 4th ST. Theatre still there? How about Romano's restaraunt, and the Cabin Tavern? Oh God! Almost forgot about the Alaskan Bush Company!
------------------------------------------------

Wasilla eh? That's Daniel Ramsey's territory! Yep, those establishments are still here as well as the "ABC". When were you here? The ole' Cabin Tavern...I used to know a dart player there and didn't "Tiny" tend bar there?

Rooster

Newly Enlightened
I thought the published length of the Stylus 3 was about 6.2"?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It is... 6 1/8" actually, while the MiniMag is 5 13/16". This may be giving away my age a bit, but I was in that neck of the woods in '85-'86. I was about 11 @ the time. I used to pick-up chicks for my dad in the various bars, while my older brother sold dart supplies (Three in a Bed Dart Supplies) and hustled drunk folks. I think my best memories were had in Huppie's Road House, I was in love (lust?) with the waitress "Big Sky" (from Montana of course!) I learned to like raw oysters just for her! My apologies to the thread originator for digressing so far off topic...
smile.gif