fun with Fog

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLight

Enlightened
lase1.jpg

lase2.jpg

lase3.jpg

The tree in the third shot is about 25 yds out...

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's illegal to point it in the sky or into public places without a special permit IIRC.
If that's your backyard then it should be fine, just make sure the beam won't get into airplanes.

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
Retrieving the positive in the thread, those pics look lovely.

Are they prolonged exposures? I would love to know where I can get a decent cheap camera capable of prolonged exposures, I'd like to photograph my EXTREME and my PGL3 when it arrives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DarkLight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bond007 said:
Retrieving the positive in the thread, those pics look lovely.

Are they prolonged exposures? I would love to know where I can get a decent cheap camera capable of prolonged exposures, I'd like to photograph my EXTREME and my PGL3 when it arrives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really just night mode on a 3 meg digital camera.

Exposure was pretty spot on to actual eye ball vision...

liteglow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Isn't it forbidden to use a >5mW laser outside?
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

GLP-3 is FDA approved and leegal to use inside\outside (100mW) ... correct me if i`m wrong !?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I don't know ... those are not my laws. IIRC the 5mW was the max to be used outside without a license.
Maybe FDA-approved only means outfitted with a lock and other safety-measures to be legally imported at all?
bernhard

liteglow

Enlightened
yes i dunno /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But if they use saftly, all alone in the dark.. then i dont think there is a problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What about the disco guys with theyr powerful 4watt lasers pointing up in the air to make other people notice the club?

i guess they get a license first ...hmm yes..

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
liteglow said:yes i dunno /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But if they use saftly, all alone in the dark.. then i dont think there is a problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said liteglow.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
unfortunately you are wrong, because

a) what if there is someone out in the dark you didn't see before and you hit him and he sues you? Good luck.

b) laws and regulations don't care about problems or not, they care about what is written. If you aren't allowed to use a >5mW outside without a license and you do it nevertheless ... you are out of luck.

Interesting to see that even the laser-nerds themselves don't have a clue about those regulations. Please be aware of this being a hot political topic right now, and act accordingly. reading the red disclaimer on top of each laser forum page might also help to understand some of the decisions af the CPF administration regarding those problems and the closure of threads etc.

bernhard

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
Well you replied to me, which suggests you think I am wrong for thinking what liteglow said was good.

a) liteglow said "safely", albeit misspelt.

b) laws and regulations don't notice those who are "all alone" as liteglow said. There's no cops in my house and yes I do, as I'm sure the rest of the "laser-nerds" as you kindly put it, take note of these regulations.

We are VERY away of this regulations Kiessling, but just because we trust our own common sense it doesn't make us an idiot with the lasers.

DarkLight

Enlightened
My sticker on my untampered with laser says <5mw.

If it happens to put out more than that thats a mfr issue.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
DarkLight ... maybe you sticker says <5mW, but you said ...

[ QUOTE ]
nope an Atlas nova..... 24 mw

[/ QUOTE ]

... on CPF, and that's what counts for me.

Bond007 ... I didn't imply you were idiots. However it is not up to you to judge and assess the safety of a given situation and your common sense might differ from what the majority of a people might think of this.
Bottom line ... there are rigid regulations not up for discussion for something like CPF, this is a very hot topic, and we have to cover our ***. This means the moderators of this place are alerted when we see outside shots of big lasers.

So ... you wanna post your outside beamshots ... make sure everyone is able to get the point why this is safe and that you followed the rules.

bernhard

P.S.: I can very well understand that you want to post these shots, I would want to do so, too. But please understand my point, too, and we will get along nicely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ddaadd

Enlightened
I see a trend being formed here. It seems our moderator is discouraging descriptions and pics of alleged illegal laser usage. This forum has been used to seeing these descriptions and pictures much longer than the short time I have been here. In fact, that is one of the reasons I AM here. The paragraphs in red at the top of our forum are quite vauge in letting us know where to draw the line, seemingly left to judgement. Now that we are seeing some of that judgement being applied, it may be time to edit the words in red to provide everyone with a clearer understanding of what is innapropriate. Our respected moderator can save himself alot of typing by making these interpretations known to all that arrive to post and read these threads.......

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well, the problem is we are walking afine line here.
There are those regulations that are quite clear in certain aspects and much less clear in other areas, or we just don't know them to the full extent. On the other hand there is a nice hobby that suffers due to those regulations and the current events.

So ... the path is actually rather easy ... it is called common sense .

This means I am here for two things:
1) ensure a smooth and functioning discussion following the spirit of CPF
2) cover our backside regarding those laws and regs

So .. I'll make sure that there is no blatant violation of the laws, e.g. a pic of a 150mW laser tearing apart the nightsky over Manhattan etc.
However, private transactions between members do not concern me, nor do I bother about what you are doing at home or how you are doing it.

Common sense ... or just imagine a dim-witted kid reading everything you post and post only the kind of info or encouragement you'd actually want him/her to read and copy.

bernhard - you respected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif moderator

Kiessling

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
It seems our moderator is discouraging descriptions and pics of alleged illegal laser usage

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, for apparent reasons.

[ QUOTE ]
The paragraphs in red at the top of our forum are quite vauge in letting us know where to draw the line, seemingly left to judgement. Now that we are seeing some of that judgement being applied, it may be time to edit the words in red to provide everyone with a clearer understanding of what is innapropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is vague for a reason ... to indicate that CPF is aware of a problem and discourages certain things and won't take responsibility.
It is impossible to list all possibilities of events that are allowed and forbidden, and frankly, I do not care. After all, YOU are the ones breaking the laws and should know about it. I am just making sure CPF isn't the platform for illegal activities and won't be harmed in this way.

The judgement is common sense. If someone isn't capable of this, he will eventually be removed from this forum.

bernhard

P.S.: would YOU want someone with a 200mW green laser pointing it at the sand dunes where you are relaxing under a night sky just because he assumes it is safe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.