ArmyTek        

Thread: T bin question

Default T bin question

Would 750mA or 1000mA be best for driving a Tbin LuxV in a 3 x 123 configuration? Figured i would just use a downboy.... right?

thanks
    skillet
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Default Re: T bin question

First, 10,000mA will let the smoke out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

T bin is voltage is 6.39-6.87V.
    That gives:
    4.79-5.15 Watts at 750mA, and
    6.39-6.87 Watts at 1000mA

Which you use depends if you want to play safe or not. Use lots of heat sinking - either way you have to dissipate a fair bit of heat. And yes, you would need a buck-type converter.

Flashaholic*

skillet,

I'm going to assume that you are talking about a T bin Lux III. If you paid for a T bin Lux V, you got ripped off, unless you got it for $10 or so.

The bias you should go with depends, in my mind, on the size of the reflector you are going to go with. In any case, you will need a Downboy converter for a 3X123 battery configuration. I you want it as bright as possible without getting to inefficient, go with a DB917. If you want good brightness with a really long runtime, go with a 500mA bias. There isn't a whole lot of difference in brightness between 750mA and 917mA.

I think skillet means T Vf bin.

Flashaholic*

Now that makes more sense. Now assuming that you got at least a V flux 5W, you really don't need to drive it that hard to get lots of light. 700mA should be sufficient and on 3X123, you should actually get a decent runtime, for a 5W.

Depending on the host, you also need to consider the heat that is going to be generated. At 700mA a 5W is going to generate a healthy amount of heat. At 1A, it's just going to generate more heat.

In any case, a downboy is going to be what you want. If you want to overdrive a bit, go with the DB750.