georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lamina array just 'ticking' over

lamina1.jpg

Lamina array just 'idling'

lamina2.jpg

Lamina array 'cooking'

lamina3.jpg

The camera doesn't do the light justice. All I can say is that it lights up a whole room with a beautiful even flood of light.

That's about 26Watts of white light coming out of that array. I'm quite impressed with the lamina arrays, I think I'm going to have quite a nice camping light here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's a boost (dimmable) switcher in action there - pushing about 11.5V at 2.4A from a 6V gell cell.

george.

jaids

Enlightened
Awsome light George. Will these be in the lioncubs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jaids said:
Awsome light George. Will these be in the lioncubs? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if someone can come up with a reflector for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a side view of the lamina array next to a Luxeon star...

lamina0.jpg

george.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could slide these into all kinds of places. nice low profile. how much are they?

Shane

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
you could slide these into all kinds of places. nice low profile. how much are they?

Shane

[/ QUOTE ]

About $81 in onesies from Mouser or Digikey... Rather pricey - but cheap compared to 4 Lux V's and 'presumably' longer lived too. Those arrays are certainly LOW profile.

Darell, yeah - SPF for sure - they are painfully bright when fired up at full power.

I ran it for a few minutes and with the 1/2" thick aluminium bar on the back as a heatsink, the surface of the lamina array was just warm to the touch. Looks like they've done a great job of transferring the heat out to the aluminium substrate. I used some thermal paste and screwed down the array.

george.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
for $81 i think i'll stick to a LuxIII for my next computer case lighting project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How hot did the bar get?

Shane

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
for $81 i think i'll stick to a LuxIII for my next computer case lighting project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How hot did the bar get?

Shane

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - Lux3 would be cheaper - but not as bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The bar was still cold after 5 minutes - that is a chunk of aluminium that is 4" x 2.5" x 0.5". It would take a while to get it hot...

george.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, i dont need a ton of light to brighten up the inside of a Shuttle XPC, lol. I was thinking the aluminum structure would be sufficient of a heatsink since there isnt a whole lot of thermal transfer through the structire from the Hard Drive and PSU.

Shane

L

LITEmania

George :

The beamshot from that array shows uniform ? or blotch ?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
eTendue said:
George :

The beamshot from that array shows uniform ? or blotch ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally smooth and artifact free - BEAUTIFUL!

Here's a pic of the array lighting up a wall. The array is about 8' from the wall and is running at about 16W. Pic taken at night time - no other lights on in the room.

laminawall.jpg

george.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
well, i dont need a ton of light to brighten up the inside of a Shuttle XPC, lol. I was thinking the aluminum structure would be sufficient of a heatsink since there isnt a whole lot of thermal transfer through the structire from the Hard Drive and PSU.

Shane

[/ QUOTE ]

OT: Lux1 or Lux3 driven at 350mA on a small tiny chipset heatsink from a 440BX - cool to the touch, almost no heat at all. Plastering this to the case should provide a huge amount of heatsinking relative to what I'm using. Doubt you'll need 80 lumens to light one case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But back to the point, the Lamina array could be interesting mounted inside a Mag, for a totally awesome 500 lumen flood light. b2eze's disk heatsink looks like a candidate because it is flat and you can basically epoxy whatever you like onto the flat surface (making it extremely versatile). No reflector, though. He could probably make some nice thick copper variants or you could stack two disks together.

PS: that is a MIGHTY big inductor ya have there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
PS: that is a MIGHTY big inductor ya have there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that driver (from 12V) can push about 45W out (fully current regulated) at up to about 45V. So, it is 'quite' the LED driver - though not minimag friendly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

george.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
45W - that is quite an awesome driver, too. I guessed as much that it would probably need to handle ~4A to drive the array fully loaded at 26W, from 6V. Feed it a 12V input.. wow.

Looks like the perfect driver for the FloodMag with one of these arrays /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif or even 2 arrays, except that thermal considerations would approach Superbulb proportions and then some (2x26W of heat in a Mag head, you could make fire and cook eggs...)

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I wonder if a rectangular reflector from an auto headlight might somehow be made useful with one of these.

Thanks for the exciting and thought provoking demonstration and photos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bricksie, by car, you mean bus? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That Lamina chip puts out a heck of a lot of light!!! Good one George! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts