Why Luxeon UV is not released ?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Liability concerns?

Can you imagine a Lux III UV light at 1000 mA? Scary! Plus, unless they did an incredible job of limiting to just a few nm, it would be so bright as to be almost limited in use to playing with it just to make things flouresce rather than use for evidence gathering.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
issues with the compound under the dome or the dome itself?
the high power die eating itself in a very short time?
bet its tough to find materials that dont degrade rapidly under strong uv.

*Retired*
The high power die eating itself is bullcrap.

I still haven't found the source of that bogus rumor.

I do have some single die 1 Watt UV LEDs, and they have been running fine for quite some time.

Toyoda-Gosei has a LED that utilizes a UV die and a phosphor that turns it into visible light. They use silicon based materials, and don't have a life issue with the LED.

Nichia has a number of UV LEDs, even 3W devices, but I have no experience with their UV parts. http://www.nichia.co.jp/product/led-lamp-uv.html

I've got several of these, http://www.bivar.com/default.asp?p=products_detail&c=UV%20LEDs&prid=UV-395-TO92 UV LEDs which are glass and metal construction, they have ran for 12,000 hours now, and have dimmed a little. Looking at the datasheet, http://www.bivar.com/pdf/04opto58.pdf you'll see the 20,000 hour rating.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not Luxeon, but I've been running 4 different UV lEDs with over 1200 hours on them. I've been checking their outputs (compared to what they measured when they were brand new).

FWIW-They have dropped only about 5% in output, -operating at 5-10mA.

cy

Flashaholic
I believe the ARC4 forensic kit was royal blue, using special googles

L

LITEmania

What kind of New Application Product will be possible
if an UV LED produce more higher flux ?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The subject implies that Lumileds has made a UV but not released it. Is this true?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have made some lights with the Nichia 3W UV as well as the Shark 6W UV. I believe these LED's have good appliations for science and industry but they certainly are not toys! I actually use a flashlight with a Nichia 3W all the time now. I have a UV curing adhesive I use for the tritium vials. The Nichia does a great job of setting up the adhesive and then I set the part in the sunshine for complete cure. There are a number of adhesives and sealers now that are UV cure and having a powerful and portable UV light source is very handy. The "Dental Blue" Luxeon is targeted for dental use of curing adhesives and bonding agents.

The bio-medical profession now uses fluoresing dies in many research applications as I have been led to understand. A good UV source with little visible spectrum light output aids in seeing where these dyes are.

I disagree to an extent on the UV LED's not being self destructive in the case of those that are contained in epoxy packages like the 5 mm units. UV will degrade epoxy, plain and simple!! The Nichia 3W has a glass window protecting the die and the Shark has some kind of silicone type material protecting the many dies it consists of.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they think it is a niche market and not worth messing with?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Let's back up here. Does Lumileds have the technology to make UV dies? If yes, can they do so without infringing on others patents? Before markets are considered, it helps to have product that is viable. Do they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Unles things have changed, Nichia does not make red LED's. Why is that? Does the question even have significance? Should I start a thread titled: "Why is Nichia RED high powered LED not released?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
UV is interesting stuff. what it does depends on exact wavelength ( Like color of light) I have 2 UV LED flashlights. 1 is 400 NM. Regular blacklight. From PEAK ED. Neat. Makes things (especialy my SEIKO watch collection) glow. Then I have a non visable 375 NM UV flashlight from NightCutter. A forensic light. Also finds fake $$ real easy. Not good to look at. Bad for vision. Makes my rock collection glow too. Lights up biological fluid stains too.

Heavy warnings come with it about potential vision damage. Kinda like a LASER. Its only milliwatts of out put. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I can just see a 3 or 5 watt UV below 400 NM LED. Big Liability. Might even cause skin cancer. The Drug labs (Pharmacuetical) that are my clients use this short wave UV for a disinfectent. Scary stuff. I can see why its held back from public. I am EXTREMELY careful with that 375 NM light.
We all like to play with light here on CPF, Be careful- you only got 2 eyes. 5 watts at 375 Nm- ?!?!?!- I don't want one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

My Lights LightWar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Walk into any Spencer's Gifts and go to the back of the store; you'll find yourself being irradiated with 20-40 watt UV fluorescent lamps producing 365nm. It's not a point source like an LED is, but it's still longwave UV and it doesn't freak me out too much.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
UV can be dangerous and this has been discussed here before as well as the applications of UV light. However, this is a subject drift from this this thread and I still want to know if Lumileds has ever made a UV die?!?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

As an interesting aside, at least I think so, Nichia has done some cool stuff with UV dies and phosphor to gain good control and output of white light. UV does excite the phosphor to a greater extent than blue light (typical base for white LED's) as I understand it but if the LED were to be compromised, instead of blue light emanating, you could have dangerous and hardly visible UV light getting out.