SF LU60A on G2?

PJ

Enlightened
Has anyone tried to install an LU60A lamp conversion kit on a G2? I tried to put it on a black G2 and it doesn't want to screw down all the way. The threads catch for a few turns but once it gets to the O-ring I can't get it to go. I siliconed the O-ring and the LU60A looks to have some lube inside it already. The threads look to be stripped on the body of the G2 for 3/4 of a turn. I put the stock head back on and it works fine. Yes, I did remove the E-series adapter before trying to install it.

BTW, what is the purpose of this conversion kit? My unedumacated guess is to tighten up the beam for more throw.

briteguy

Newly Enlightened
Hi there PJ,

I believe LU60A is ment for the Scout Light as shown on page 21 of the Tactical Products 2005 Catalog (did you pick one up at SS?)

As P60/P61 offers a slightly larger reflector than the E-bezel, you could consider it to be the turbo head for the E2. If you happen to have a 3x123 E type body, you can even use P90/P91 LA for 105/200 lumen power!

Becasue G2 is using the same P60 LA, you are not gaining by putting the 13586-11 on the G2 body.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The LU60A is a Lamp Module - it has a collar adapter to mate with the ScoutLight (or other E-Series body).

The LU60 is a Lamp Module - it has a collar adapter to mate with the Millennium Universal WeaponLight Housing (MH90).

The "M2" bezel is used by the LU60A and LU60, and the M95 and the M2.

The "M2" bezel fits directly onto the G2/G2Z body just like it fits directly onto the 6P/M2 body etc.

It is likely that your G2 threads were ruined either before you attempted to attach the "M2" bezel or as a result of incorrectly screwing it on. Yours is the first time I've heard of this happening. It is likely that SureFire will replace your G2 body if you ask them.

Here is a photo of the G2 with the M2 bezel installed. It works great
P68.jpg

The purpose of the LU60A is primarily to allow the ScoutLight to be used as an IR Illumination device. White light LEDs produce practically no IR light so SureFire introduced the LU60A so that the "M2" bezel can use the FM6x BeamFilters - for IR that's the FM63.

The secondary purpose of the LU60A allows the ScoutLight to be used as an incandescent WeaponLight with either the P60 or P61 Lamp Assemblies producing beams that some operators in some situations find to be better than LED white light but still with a more light-weight WeaponLight than an M95 model.

Other applications for the LU60A include using the Black HA "M2" bezel on the Black HA C2 body you may have.
Or, if you have an E2d or E2e (Black HA) you can use the LU60A or just the adapater.

At this point I am not aware of the adapter or the Black HA "M2" bezel used by the LU60A being sold separately.

PJ

Enlightened
I may have messed up the threads when I tried putting it on. Even with the threads messed up they caught for about 1.5 turns and then it stopped at the O-ring. Maybe I'll try taking the O-ring off and see if it seats properly. Thanks.

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but why would I want to put an M2 head on my G2s? That is to say, what is the benefit?

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
rgc said:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but why would I want to put an M2 head on my G2s? That is to say, what is the benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

The M2 bezel is shock isolated... aka it protects you lamp if you drop the light bezel first or use it around/on a firearm. There is also a black SI (shock isolated) bezel that is non-hex, although I forgot the part number.

-Mike

rgc

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:

The M2 bezel is shock isolated... -Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh, excuse me, I am a little slow some times. I am always looking as to what will make the light brighter or throw farther and was not even thinking of the shock isolation part of the M2. Thanks for th reminder.

That said, although I don't mount my G2s to any fire arms, using one in a grip with handguns has never damaged it yet . . . but that second head posted by Al sure looks interesting . . . could I still put the P-61 lamp assembly in there?

Thanks,
rgc

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. The P60 and P61 are drop in replacements for each other, and the Z32 will work with both. Be advised that the Z32 has a Lexan lens, and is subject to melting if you leave the light on and place it bezel down or in your pocket etc.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The M2 bezel is shock isolated... aka it protects you lamp if you drop the light bezel first or use it around/on a firearm.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I always thought you just put the M2 on a G2 to make it front heavy?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Just kidding!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
At this point I am not aware of the adapter or the Black HA "M2" bezel used by the LU60A being sold separately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

I believe Wayne at Lagger-Pro is carrying the black M2 bezel. I was going to pick one up for my Z3.