Would like info on LED heads for SF "E" series

hikari

Newly Enlightened
Would like info on LED heads for SF \"E\" series

My current EDC is an E2O--which has served well and will continue to be my regular "carry." I have another E2O as a back up and (just today) got a VG FB2 body. I would like to convert the spare E2O to an LED head, but am confoozed about LED's.

I DO have an older model KL1 head, but am thinking about picking up one of the new ones. What is the difference? Also, what is the KL4 head? Is it brighter? different pattern? As I recall, I think I might have to replace the switch if I go with the KL4--true? (Kinda looking at the McGizmo slim style switch--is that compatible?)

One last question...(pardon my ignoramusness)...Can someone explain to me what the purpose of the variously rated resistors are in the circuit and how do I decide what I need?

TIA for any input/information you guys can provide.

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Re: Would like info on LED heads for SF \"E\" series

kl1 - $56.00
old version is 1w LS
long runtime
comes in various tints from **** green to blue

new is 3w LS - $56 - $60
shorter runtime
brighter beam
tighter focus for smaller hotspot

kl4 - ?
5w LS
flood type beam
varius tints like the 1w
runs very hot
can be used to run 18650 barecell li-ion batt

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think street value on the KL4 is $125, but you should be able to get one for a lot less than that on here.

I don't know about the switch that you've got, but the McE2S will work wonders with a KL4. .

wquiles

Flashaholic

Also, with the KL1 or KL4, you should be able to run a single PILA 168S for guilt-free lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

I've got both an old and a new KL1 head. The old KL1 head has a fairly tight hotspot, with a decent throw and a bit of spill.

The new KL1 is a little throw-monster. If you like throw lights (and I do), you will like it. (I like mine a lot.) It's basically all hot-spot. If you like flood lights, you are liable to NOT like it a lot. I have mine perched atop an E1E, and it's a nifty and quite pocketable little light. If you don't want the old KL1, you can probably part with it on B/S/T here. Some are liable to prefer it to the new KL1, I'd think.

hikari

Newly Enlightened

Thanx for the info guys. Benchmark, I think I'd like the new KL1--into throw myself. I just ordered one from Surefireparts. I'll keep my old KL1 though, it'll serve for b/u on the VG FB1 body I just got working!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif I think that you will like it - I've been very pleased with mine. Do tell us what you think when you get it. jcciv (surefireparts) is great to deal with.