Nuwai ALX-352L (5watt)

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://store.advancedmart.com/nulu5wledalf1.html

Does anyone have any feedback on this torch. The review I read was positive but have seen little written up in this forum about this light. Does anyone know if it has a metal or plastic reflector (I wouldn't think with a 5w Lux but you never know). What about the lens, is it glass or plastic... Thanks for any comments you may have good or bad.

Dave

jsmn4vu

Newly Enlightened
I've got one, and the only thing negative I can say is that it's a little on the large side for a 2-CR123A. On the other hand, it's so solid as to seem almost indestructable -- the machining is impressive.

The reflector and lens appear to be polycarbonate. Should be adequate for the task. In any case, they're easily replaced if you like the light in other respects.

It's one of those lights which, if it's ever "discovered," could really catch on: modest price and abundant output, coupled with three light levels + flashing.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light! Plenty of output on high. Plenty of runtime on low. Little thick but built like a tank. Unfortunately (for me) it doesn't have momentary.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's The runtime plots I did on this light!

I'm not sure that the reflector is plastic...IMHO it sounds like glass or metal.

It is a bit large for a 2x123 BUT the multi-level switch up by the head accounts for this.

The light sits in my hand really well! IMHO it makes since to have the switch up forward if you have multiple switch selectable output levels. The large flat cut-out for the logo aligns my thumb up over the switch without my having to look at the light.

The only real neagative that I have is the order of the light levels...Off - Hi - Med - Low - Off. I'd rather have it start on the Low setting.

Am I the only one impressed with the quality of the holster? I really LIKE the holster!! The plastic tube is a nice touch. The belt loop has two metal snaps on the bottom of the loop that connect to the body of the lolster....this allows the holster to be put on your belt without having to take off your belt! The top strap over the top of the holster also attaches to the body with a metal snap. The plastic tube protects the body of the light from being scrached by the backside of the metal snaps.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found the light to be really impressive. I agree that it feels great in the hand. It may be a little large for 2 123s, but it is solid as a dump truck. The machining and thickness of the walls is excellent. I like the 3 power settings. It gives excellent flexibility in usage. Sort of having a 5w, 3w and 1w in a single light. I bought 2 of them and I'm quite pleased. I think the holster is awsome. I like the fact that the tube inside is just right for keeping away accidental switch activation(it is a "Soft switch"). I had a chance to run it here on Cape Cod during our 3' blizzard. I was glad to have it in whiteouts during 80mph wind gusts. I put it in flashing mode so people could see I was there. The bluish tint cut through pretty well. It's a good light.

Frank

davidra

Enlightened
Lux 3 version

I've got the Lux three version; half the price, and one review showed greater throw but less overall output. I love mine; it's my car light, with three good levels and a great holster.

jsmn4vu

Newly Enlightened
Forgot to mention...I've put an O-ring between the head and body, to space it out just a bit. It improves the spot a little on mine. (YMMV, so experimentation is recommended.)

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ALX-032L seems to be an interesting light. In talking with people, some seemed to have been scared off on this light by the flashlightreviews.com piece on it. It mentioned that the lower power settings of the light were using pulse width modulation and not a consistent on beam, although high power was ok. Did you guys notice this on your lights? or do you think maybe the review piece sent was defective? The reason I bring this up is that I recently got an ALX-233C (much thanks to Advancedmart). It is essentially an ALX-032L that uses C alkalines. Its a bit longer than the 032. This light works super and all its power settings look real smooth. I wish I could get another, but they're not around. While my 352L is brighter, the 3w is still a nice piece. I keep it around the house for family members to use(plenty of Cs around). Keeps them out of my 123 lithium stash. Flashlight reviews seems like very honest testing. Think he got a bad one?

Frank

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Quickbeam said only the 3 watt version had the flicker due to a PWM circuit.

[ QUOTE ]
The Luxeon III uses PWM regulation and the flicker is very evident. The Luxeon III also has a switch that requires deliberate, slow presses to function correctly. Last, the beam of the Luxeon III wasn't quite as nice as I would have liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems to have really liked the 5 watt.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The five watt is a fantastic light. Better than most out there. It's one of those "sleeper" lights that out performs a lot of others but not too many people know about it. Check the overall output chart - on it's high setting it "out-photons" all the 2 cell lithium incandescent lights except the P61....

I just wasn't that impressed by the 3 watter.... A good light for sure, and perhaps it is unfair to the light to compare it to the 5 watter side-by-side, but I'm just not to keen on it.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
The five watt is a fantastic light. Better than most out there. It's one of those "sleeper" lights that out performs a lot of others but not too many people know about it. Check the overall output chart - on it's high setting it "out-photons" all the 2 cell lithium incandescent lights except the P61....

I just wasn't that impressed by the 3 watter.... A good light for sure, and perhaps it is unfair to the light to compare it to the 5 watter side-by-side, but I'm just not to keen on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

PWM is the devil! Without PWM the 3w light could have been good.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it strange that my ALX-233C 3w does not use PWM in the lower power settings. Maybe it has something to due with the lower voltage of 3 Cs vs 123s. Too bad, the 032L would have been real nice, without PWM.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it have a donut hole in the center? My five watt light (PM6/McModule) does and I have seen it in lots of 5W beam pics which is why I have stuck with the 3W's for recent lights. Love the general wide swarth of light that the 5W's tend to give out though.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The only donut hole that I see is at about 3" from the lens. Otherwise I get a nice round spot with some flood.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got about the same as Roy. A hole a couple of inches away. After that it looks good. Most of the 352Ls I have seen, have a very slight blue tint. I have 2 of these myself. My other 4 friends with this light also have the same tint. I think that's pretty good consistency. Nice and bright. I think is one of the best lights out there that remains largely unknown.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

Has anyone explored boring and tapping the tailcap to add a Kroll? This was done by Quickbeam with the <font color="red"> XenErgy 3 in 1 (Nuwai AL-606) </font>. If this is possible, can the original switch can be used as a mode selector, while the Kroll serves as the ON/OFF switch?

Together they can serve as a positive lockout (kinda like an LOTC) while the light is in transit.

Cheers.