Streamlight TL-2 Xenon

Stream

Enlightened
I've been looking at this flashlight at several online stores and read a few reviews. However, there are still some things I'd like to know about it. For instance, is it voltage regulated (I know that the LED versions are)? It claims to have a runtime of about 1 hour, how many hours of declining brightness do you get (LED versions get 50)?
Also can it run on rechargeable batteries?

The reason I'm most interested in the Xenon version is that it seems to be brighter than the LED versions (at 114 lumens). Am I wrong about this?

Any answers you might have would be much appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
the tl-2 xenon isn't regulated but the bulb is direct drived by 2 cr123a

the runtime i think can be around 60-70 min but the last 10-20 minutes will be very yellowish and usually run a bulb at low voltage can short the bulb life

you have 2 options for rechargeable:

use a li-ion 17670 (if fit) with a strion bulb, the runtime can be around 1h but at less output (80 instead of 105lm)

use 2 li-ion 16340 with a tl-3 bulb, the runtime can be around 30min but the output will be great (around 200lm)

of course the xenon version are brighter than led version /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stream

Enlightened
Thanx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What are the advantages of a direct driven bulb? Does the brightness pretty much stay constant until the last 10-20 minutes or does it visibly decline all the time?

What happens if I run li-ion 16340 or li-ion 16670 with the original bulb, are the results poor?

Sorry, I know I got a lot of questions lol
Again, thanx.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very few incandescents are anything other than direct drive. With alkaline batteries the voltage drops through the life of the batteries and they gradually get dimmer and yellower, but with Lithiums the voltage stays more constant, only dropping towards the very end of the life.

The TL-2 Xenon is a fairly "generic" incandescent, similar in ourput and runtime to the Surefires, other Streamlights, and the Pelican M6. Each one has a slightly different reflector and slightly different beam which might affect the throw but the overall output will be more similar.

If you like the size of this light but you want rechargeables then you might look at the Streamlight Strion.

Stream

Enlightened
Okay, thanx for all the info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you had to pick one of the TL series, though, which one would you pick? Would you go for one of the regulated LED versions?