Best drop in LED for 2 cell AA and C Mag?

JeffH

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading past posts regarding drop in replacement kits/bulbs for Mag lights. I seem to be getting only more confused. Is there a general concensus as to what the best choice is? I was looking at the Lumiled replacements (Maxstar2 and MiniStar2). They seem expensive. I don't mind paying more though if they are the one to get.
Thanks,
Jeff

jaids

Enlightened
If you can drop $70 on a nexgen say, 500 sandwich from the shop for the minimag you will not be sorry. How much current you run to the sandwich will depend on your needs.

For 2 c cells I would make a spaceneedle two. www.darkgear.com/mrbulk has instructions for them somewhere.

Both of the above modifactions are probably your best bet. If you have any concerns about cost then I wouldnt buy the things for the modifacations. This is particularly pertinate to the sandwich.
Edit: you will want nimh rechargables for the sandwich.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there and welcome to CPF. I just received my new MiniStar2 on Friday. I was looking for a ceiling bouce flood type of light with a AA. Gary at brightguy.com sent me a LDF lens because I heard that the beam is not very nice. An LDF is a plastic textured lens that makes the rings disapear and smoothens everything out.

Long story short, I really like it a lot. It meets my needs. Im guessing it will get about 7 or 8 hours on a pair of L91 AA batteries. And with the LDF it really has a beautiful full white flood that is usable for around 20 Feet and it lights up a dark room just right for me. Much brighter than an MJLED which is another suggestion.

MJLED has a tighter spot and a smooth beam but it has much less side spill so it doesnt light up a room or throw as far as the MiniStar2.

My two cent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
Honest opinion from users please.
How does the MJLED compare to any one of the luxeon mag AA drop in's available off the shelf now? (not custom)
Has the gap between the 5mm led vs. the luxeon led closed?
Thank You.
edited to add, I've had the dat2zip MM lite, lambda ill pill,and inretech AA. The best is the MM lite. for run time it's the inretech.

MGLloyd

Newly Enlightened
I would point out that at the 2005 Shot Show, NiteIze was demonstrating a 3-led (presumably 5 mm) drop in module for a 2 AA MagLite. Estimated cost is $ 10, although I am not sure if that cost is for just the module alone or in combination with the clicky tail switch that they were also showing. The release date is summer 2005, I think.

L

led_replacement

For brightness I think the TerraLUX 1 watt Luxeon MiniStar2 is best,
For 10 hours of battery life and a very bright 3mm Nichia led, the Tektite LT-1 is my favorite.
led_replacement

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MGLloyd said:
I would point out that at the 2005 Shot Show, NiteIze was demonstrating a 3-led (presumably 5 mm) drop in module for a 2 AA MagLite. Estimated cost is $ 10, although I am not sure if that cost is for just the module alone or in combination with the clicky tail switch that they were also showing. The release date is summer 2005, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you think of the light?
I like NiteIze stuff.