Comparing lumen output of Lionheart to others?

MY

Enlightened
As the proud and very happy owner of a Lionheart, I was wondering what is its lumen output. Given that most lights are measured in lumens, it is hard to compare those lights to the lionheart. My lionheart has a brigher hotspot than all of my lights but I was wondering about its total output (lumen). I know the Mr. Bulky measured 2,910 lux but I am not sure how that measures up with some of the CPF light standards (with both lux and lumens). I was thinking about getting a HDS 60 lumen but do not know if it will be any brighter than my lionheart. If someone knows the lumen output of the lionheart, please share this information! Thanks.

Regards

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't imagine that the HDS would be any brighter than the LH, since it is regulated, not DD. The LH actually overdrives the LED a bit (while I bet that HDS underdrives slightly), and Charlie has hand picked the brightest of the bright stars for the thing as well. The only way you're gonna get brighter (in lumens) is to go for a 5W luxeon or wait for Lumileds to come out with something brighter. Unless you can track down an elusive U bin Lux 3 ...

PS sorry I can't give any figures - I don't have an integrating sphere handy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The LH uses "T" bin Luxeons, so I'd imagine the actual output being a bit past 80 lumens once reflector, heat, and glass losses are taken into account.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Also, lumens are difficult to measure without an expensive instrument known as an integrating sphere.

Some members have approximated the results of an integrating sphere with homemade "lightbox" instruments.

It might also be possible to approximate lumens using a lightmeter and integrating a series of lux/cd measurements at increasing angles off beam center.

MY

Enlightened
Mr. Bulky hand picked out a pretty good T bin for me on the side. I don't have any lights with known lumens so comparisons are apples and organges. It appears that only my old X4T is brighter overall and this includes a number of Lux IIIs and Vs.

Regards.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure about the Lion Heart specifically, but at the CPF meet in N CA over the weekend, my eyes were opened about the real Lumen output of Lux IIIs and Vs in real world flashlights.

Gadget Lover has a home made kit which, while not NIST tracible, has certainly been tested against known outputs. The typical Lux III T bin light measures in the 30s of Lumens, and the best Lux V I saw was under 80 Lumens. All were run for short periods with reasonably fresh cells.

Not exactly what we all would like to think the numbers really are, but they still are REALLY bright.

Latest posts