Inova T2 or X0 for EDC

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
I'm looking to replace a venerable AA minimag with an Inova X0 or T2. The minimag has been used as a general purpose EDC light and has seen service for everything from looking under furniture to emergency all-lights-out electrical work and walking down unlit paths during a blackout. Are the Inova units up to this kind of service, particularly in terms of brightness and beamwidth?

Is there any reason to choose the T2 over the X0 or vice versa?

Thanks.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Yep; I've already read those and am asking questions here because the reviews are about even. The T2 has a longer runtime, but the X0 is brighter and has a wider beam.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Do you prefer a clickie or a twistie?

I prefer the T series because of the clickie. The textured surface is nice as well.

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
It depends on YOUR preferences/requirements!

If you want longer runtime, then perhaps you should go for the T2.
If you want greater throw, then perhaps the X0 is the better choice.
If price is a factor, then perhaps the X0 is the best choice (it's a bit cheaper).
etc. etc!

Santelmo

Enlightened
Hello from one newbie to another!

My impression is that for your needs, you should go with the XO. More area/wider lighting. The T-series are more for distance/throwers. The downside is the shorter runtime though.

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
how about upgrading the minimag with a TerraLUX MiniStar2 instead?
i think it could be a suitable EDC for your needs

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Panzerwolf: flashlightreviews gives the Ministar2 a pretty pathetic throw score. I'm looking for more light.

Santelmo: What's the X0's beam width like? I've estimated from the LED Museum beamshot that the X0 has a beam halfangle of around 14 degrees. This should result in a 36" beam diameter (spot + spill) at 72". Does this sound about right to X0 owners?

Krit

Enlightened
I feel heavy when XO on my belt. So I think T2 is more light weight.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
The XO and the T2 are more or less identical lights. The big differences are the T2 has a clicky-type tail cap and the body is knurled. The output and thrown on these lights should be nearly identical, modulo differences in the LEDs from the luxeon lottery.

I think both of these are pretty good general purpose lights. They are more geared towards throw, but they do have useful sidespill. (It has lots of rings, which is distracting to those of us who like to stare at flat white walls, but really is not a problem in actual use.) As for 36" at 72", iirc, that's pretty close. I'll grab my XO later and try it out just to be sure.

You could do close work with this light, although it's a bit bright. It does have some useful sidespill, although as I said, it's more of a throw-light. It runs a long time in regulation, that would be a plus in an emergency situation. It's plenty of light for walking around at night. I own 3 of these (XO), and have given a couple of them out as gifts. Had the T2 been readily available at the time, I'd likely have picked it instead. (I like clicky switches - but that's purely a personal preference.)

wquiles

Flashaholic
I have an XO and I feel the beam is more of a spot light than a KL4, L6, QIII, E2E, the P60 lamp, or the P90 Lamp.

For an EDC I feel it is too narow focused to be usefull everywhere, specially up close. I don't have a T2, but if the beam is described as being narower than of the XO, I feel it would be even less practical to me. Again, just my opinion.

I keep the only XO that I have in my car due to having the Li batteries - it will work when I need it. But I would not buy another one.

Will

X33

Enlightened
I would get the T2, because I prefer the clickie switch of the T series. I have a T1 and XO and they are pretty similar beam wise.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that the X0 and T2 were indentical, beam and output-wise. If a particular T2 was brighter than a particular X0, it was just a production variance. I'm 100% sure this is true of the X03 vs T3. Only 99% sure of the X0 vs T2.

My EDC is a modded ARC AAA and I usually carry either an X0, X5T or G2. The X0 does have the narrowest beam of the three, but I still find it useful. The X03 beam is too narrow for general indoor/outdoor use in my opinion, but the X0 is OK.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Oooooooopss! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif My deepest apologies. My brain's was on STUPID mode when I replied to your post, I was really thinking of the X5 when I posted this message (when I was trying to refer to the XO)!

Yup, agree 100% with what the others stated: the difference is more of a clicky/twisty operation and the knurlings for the T-series.

Sorry, I had a "senior moment" back there. . .

[ QUOTE ]
Santelmo said:
Hello from one newbie to another!

My impression is that for your needs, you should go with the XO. More area/wider lighting. The T-series are more for distance/throwers. The downside is the shorter runtime though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
I have both a T2 and X0, they are identical in beam shape and throw. I just prefer the T2 because of the clickie, and the knurling pattern. If you buy the X0, you get a nylon holster. Its not a bad holster, allows quick draw with the light bezel down. But it loses its elasticity fast makes the light come out easily. Although I don't think you could have the light come out by itself unless it was completely upside down. Bottom line, T2 has clickie switch and square knurling, X0 has twist on switch, different knurling and a nylon holster.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
The T2 supposedly has a extra hour of runtime over the X0. I'm skeptical that they both have the same light output as the power for that hour has to come from somewhere and cutting output is about the only way to get it.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lightbringer said:
I have both a T2 and X0, they are identical in beam shape and throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the runtimes are different, it's unlikely that they're identical. All things being equal, output and runtime work in inverse proportion to one another.