How do Coast LED flashlights compare to others?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a Coast LED Lenser Tac Torch v2 6 chip dual color flashlight model #TT7736DCP. It's perfect as far as brightness goes for my uses (twice or three times as bright as my Lightwave 2000) and has a red LED in the center for night vision preservation.

Kurt B Shutterpoint

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is Coast a bad word here?

I guess I didn't use the search function correctly when I first posted my message and then edited it about the same time you posted. I did find lots of Coast references. Sorry about that.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I think you'll find a general consensus that Coast/LED-Lenser lights are very solidly-constructed, with that being the one strength - otherwise they're generally seen as overpriced, lacking in performance, and prone to premature failure due to the total lack of regulation in almost all models.

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am

srvctec, no problem! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It is easy to forget to set the date option for searches; I missed that option myself a few times! The default setting of 1 week is unlikely to produce wanted results.

idleprocess, thanks for your comments. I was looking at Coast flashlights also, but given your comments, it is unlikely that I'll be purchasing any in the near future!

jsmn4vu

Newly Enlightened
Re: How do Coast LED flashlights compare to other

That's my one Coast light -- I think it's exceptional. Regarding price, I picked mine up at Fry's for $29.00 at Christmastime, which is a bit of an improvement on the $54.00 that the local Lowe's is asking.

I'm using lithium AAAs; the only mod I intend is to put in regulation, sometime down the road (if there's any room at all).

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How do Coast LED flashlights compare to other

I have the 6 chip too. I played with the ones on display at lowes and the 1 watt models. The 1 watt models were all diffferent colors from the lottery, green, purple, brown, blue, no white ones. The other lights were marginal and one used N cells. I played with the 6 chip and was shocked at its bluish white light and further played with it. I bought it and use it to read my mail, catalogs and hte news paper.
Kind of puts my other multi led lights to shame.

I was of the assumption it was regulated or over driven as it has a 50k hour life and at that 50 hours per set of batteries. I tried running it on two cells, but the whites would barely light while the red was still strong.

I am still on my first set of batteries. Man it does get warm after a bit of use. The heat seems equal from the batteries and head area.

I just wished it was more of a mini mag shape than a short stubby shape. Also maybe mod it to use 3 aa batteries. Maybe me want to try an inova 5x or 7x to see if its brighter.