Axed the 55watt halogen flashlight idea

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
After I visited this site and read about the HID pocket lights I had the BRIGHT idea to use 4 or 5 cr 123s and a halogen h3 or h4 bulb to make one hell of a pocket light. I was going to use maybe a driving light reflector from the auto section and half hazzardly bang it into an existing light body.

Anyway, I have put in some extra hours at work and been using my older wheelchair with the 55 watt night blasters than the led lights. Keep in mind since I last used that chair I inherited a brinkman legend which I upgraded to a p61 and bought a 5 watt led light and v2 6 chip.

So, I flipped them on the other night last weekend as I receive a call from the van service that a van was in the drive way looking for me. I was rather shocked at how dim they were and yeller. Sure they are fog lights and have a yellish tint to the lens, but they were bright last I recall using them. Man, they were dim. I swear they remind me of the 25 and 35 watt models I played with when I first installed them on my chair.

Oh well. Maybe HID prices will come down soon?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe those h3 and h4 bulb require more amperage than CR123's can deliver (unlike HID bulbs)

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually bought an H3 auto off road kit last week to play with. They pull 55 watts, nominally 12 V.

55 W / 12 V = 4 - 5 amps.

123s can at most deliver 2 amps. I am planning to rig up a dual pack (so 5 x 123 x 2 rows) for a total of 10 each 123s. This will power it for all of maybe 10 - 20 minutes, and everything will get crazy hot. Even the battery packs will be well out of range.

Probably, 3 packs of 5 x 123 would be a better match, or go to a different battery concept.