2C Mag Options

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I know there are a ton of mods availabe for the 2C Mag but I would really like to stick to NiMH batteries (a lot of the mods use 3x123A batteries which could be costly. I'll be using this light almost daily for 2 - 3 hours each day roughly (on and off useage). I know there are a lot of 2D mods as well but I really prefer the size and feel of the 2C. Are there any mods that can make it brighter than getting a luxeon 3, hotlips heatsink and step-up converter? Thanks!

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is 2 x NiMh does not have enough voltage to power any of the ICs used in the step up converters (Fatman Vin > 2.7v, BB500 Vin > 3v). That's why people have gone the step-down converter path using 123s. If you were to use rechargable Li-ions, then the step-up driver options would be viable. Of course, the body length would need to be shortened or a spacer + sleeve used for the 2C host.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want long term, low cost rechargeable options, you have to go the Pila route.

That said, you can then consider the hotwire versus LED options.

The hotwires will be brighter, the LED's will have longer runtimes.

Bill

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I have a NexGen sandwich from the Sandwich Shoppe for my minimag and I thought that could run on 2xNiMH batteries... am I completely off here or would it be possible to wire something similar at all for the 2c cell or is the nexgen actually running in a different mode? Thanks again!

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could use the VIP750 or VIP1000 from George.
Take a look at my VIPMag's here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
I'm with bwaites. If it works in a MiniMag it will work longer in the C size. Seems to me something like a nexgen 1000 powering a lux3 mounted to a hotlips would make a real nice light. I've been tempted to make one of these myself.

Another thought would be to use a 3C Mag, Hotlips, lux3. With this combo there is no driver board at all needed. Simply wire it up direct to the switch. I have a 3D done this way and it rocks. With the 3 cells it's a little overdriven but with the hotlips heatsink being so effient it seems to be alright.

jaids

Enlightened
Buy a badboy blank from the shop and a tx1j luxeon, short the solder pads on the badboy where the sense resistors would go, get an osing from the guy that sells osinks(drawing a blank here) remove the switch assembly, remove the bulb holder, saw off the stalk on the switch,mount the luxeon and wire everything up. then saw off the camming on the reflector, assemble the light and go be amazed with the throw. Oh, crap you want runtime. Well this setup draws about 2 amps from the batterys so I dont know if c cell nihms have a high enough capacity for this and your runtime goal. Good luck.