Need Aluminum reflectors for Mag conversions

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I missed out on Fivemaga's aluminum reflector group buy. I need four for the Maglite. Anyone know of a source? Many thanks.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Me too Me too!!!! Lookin for one LOP or smoooove /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

litho123

Enlightened
There are several folks who are getting reflectors made for the CPF community. The trouble is the time it takes to get them to market.

There are the camless modded 1940's that were part of the latest GB started in June '04. There might be a few extras that will hit the market before Fivemega's do.

Fivemega's cammed reflectors will probably hit the market in early March.

There are a few other cammed reflector projects that are in process.

I know the waiting is hard, but you can use your lights in short squirts of light. Think of the plastic reflectors as disposable...afterall, you won't be going back to them when the metal ones arrive.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm looking into modding a couple mags myself ..2xC and 3xD.. i just did a quick estimate of the size inside the light and came up with this result for a parabolic reflector solution:

magreflector.gif

in my copious free time i think i'll figure out a way to make one of these.. anybody with a cnc lathe that wants the formula for that curve?

-awr

idleprocess

Flashaholic
How do you do those reflectors? If I had the time, I could trace the rays manually and approximate a parabola with 2D CAD, but that's really time-consuming...

Nubo

Enlightened
idleprocess, the formula for a parabola is y=x^2/4f, where f is the focal length (nominally, the distance from base of parabola to the center of filament). You can do this fairly easily with an Excel spreadsheet.

edit: the units are up to you (mm, inches....) but it doesn't matter to the curve. That is, a parabola with a focal length of 4 inches will look the same as one with a focal length of 4 mm, it will just be a heck of a lot bigger! In practical terms for flashlights, the focal length will influence the "depth" of the parabola. Having a shorter focal length will give you a deeper parabola for any given head diameter.

Leeoniya

Enlightened
HAHA. great minds think alike. but i think i beat you to the parabolic reflector calc in Excel. i also made a macro for it to export coordinates in a format that i could import into Inventor.

I made this specifically for reflector design of the HID lights we were making.

here's a pic
and the excel file if anyone else wants to use it...the only thing you need to do is change the values at the top and the parabolic curve will adjust based on where the focus is. the 2 circles are 2 different sizes of HID/MH bulbs we were designing for, so i put them in to makes sure there was enough clearance.

http://216.170.179.171/ref.jpg
http://216.170.179.171/reflector.xls

Leeoniya

Enlightened
btw, if anyone needs CNC code genned, check out my sig.

I can also cad out the reflectors as long as i have a list of coordinates. just use and or modify the excel sheet I made and use the macro (ctrl+j) to export the coords.

trivergata

Enlightened
Wow - I was hoping for something alot simpler - I'm not sure that I can machine a parabolic curve. I just might be dumb enough to give it a go, though.

Thanks
Josh