Surefire L2 question

jonman007

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

I've been lurking around for a while now but I finally decided to sign up.

I recently bought an L2 and have since read about the short lifespan of the lux V led head. How long can I expect it to last before it dims? Will it last significantly longer if used primarily on low?

I was a little shocked to say the least because I bought it based on the assumption that the LED would last forever.

Thanks

code09

Enlightened
I dont thing u'll have anyhting to worry about. They last for quite a long time, and if it breaks, surefire will fix it

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
You should be fine. I worried about this too, but the following things to ocurred to me:
1. SF has an "if it breaks we fix it" no hassle lifetime warranty. I believe they will honor this if the LED fails or dims considerably.
2. I bet you normally will use your L2 on "low." It's really under-driven in low, and this will likely significantly improve the LED's lifespan.
3. 500 hours is still a lot - it's likely by the time you want SF to replace it there will be a significantly better LED that's used anyway.

DrPhoton

Newly Enlightened
I own an L2 and was questioning the same thing; so I called Surefire and ask them point blank. First Chris in service said, "Nope it would be your cost to replace." I read him the warranty and debated if an LED was indeed a lamp assembly since them, tape switches, and batteries are the only things excluded by their warranty. "Lamps will burn out, batteries will be used up, and tape switches for WeaponLights™ will eventually need to be replaced. Everything else is covered by our lifetime no-hassle guarantee: If it breaks, we fix it!" Then talked to customer service to Amber. She was not sure but after about a 3-minute hold she came back and assured me that the LED was covered by the lifetime warranty. This was on Dec 14th 2004.
Doc Photon

Mark2

Enlightened
The problem is that the LED will not "burn out", it just gets dimmer over time. The flashlight will not fail. I wouldn't expect Surefire to replace too many of these lights. But as MrBenchmark said: you will have replaced the light yourself long before the LED is too dim... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, my guess is that the quoted 500 life span is probably most accurate with using the L2 on its highest setting. That would mean 500 sets of batteries through it!!! I haven't heard of anyone complaining about a dimming L4, L5, L6, L7 even though they all use 5watt LEDs at or near specs. I think when those start dimming, we'll have a better idea when our L2's will need to be replaced. Still, that is an incredible amount of time over an incandescent bulb. I think we can use our L2's without too much worry of wearing it out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif