I think I've narrowed it down...

berklee46

Newly Enlightened
I think I\'ve narrowed it down...

Wow, I'm still new here and am amazed at the amount of information I've found here. I am just learning about LED's and I can't believe that I've spent weeks actually researching and looking up specs for a flashlight! I can see how it becomes addicting though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, I a PO and have had a Streamlight Stinger as my backup light for about 10+ years. Aside from it seeming to be getting pretty tired, my natural inclination is to want something new every so often, so I'm looking to replace it with a similar sized LED light.

I recently picked up a Vortex KC-1 and really like it, but was even more impressed when I got my Nuwai Q-III - what a great light.

Since I can see the difference between the 1 watt Vortex and the 3 watt Nuwai, I think I'd like to get a 5 watt light. And since I will use it every day, obviously it being rechargeable is very important as well.

I've got it narrowed down to the following lights (in no particular order):

Rechargeables:
1. Vortex TR-5 5 watt rechargeable (105 Lumens)

2. Surefire L7 LumaMax Rechargeable 5-watt (75 Lumens)

3. Inova T-4 4 watt (100 Lumens)

Non-Rechargeables:
1. Ombu X-55 5 watt (65/75 Lumens - depending on what literature you read)

2.Cabela's XPG 5 Watt (115 Lumens)

If one of the non-rechargeables is clearly the superior light, I guess I could go with a charger and some spare 123 batteries if I really had to. Also, I'm not that concerned with spending some money in order to get something that I'll be using daily for several more years. I just want to make sure it's something that will kind of blow me away and make it worth scrapping my Stinger.

Thanks,
Scott

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: If you can stand one more \"Help me choose...\"

Welcome to CPF, If you have a few bucks to spare go for the
Surefire L7 LumaMax Rechargeable 5-watt

berklee46

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
TORCH_BOY said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. What about the L7 makes it a better light than the others?
At the risk of showing my ignorance, wouldn't the 5 watt 105 lumen Vortex or the 4 watt 100 lumen Inova be better than a 75 lumen Surefire? Or am I giving too much importance to the number of lumens?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have a serious look at the Surefire L2. I have one and it's become my EDC light. The low setting is 15 lumens - good enough to do 99% of what I need as an EMT with little drain on the batteries. The high setting is supposed to be 100 lumens. I don't know, but I do know it hurts to look into the beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, and it lights up a scene very well indeed. Simple, functional and rugged - what more could you ask for? It ain't cheap, but it sure is top quality!

Mike

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
berklee46 said:
[ QUOTE ]
TORCH_BOY said:

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of showing my ignorance, wouldn't the 5 watt 105 lumen Vortex or the 4 watt 100 lumen Inova be better than a 75 lumen Surefire? Or am I giving too much importance to the number of lumens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lumens do matter, but more so, how they are derived. Surefire tends to rate their lights very conservatively, and that's after they take the useful output coming out of the front of the light, not output at the LED itself, because you lose some light in the glass and the reflector. Kinda like horsepower at the wheels and horsepower at the flywheel..

I'd also recommend a Surefire based on the amount of engineering that goes into it. It's the attention to detail, all the small things, and the fact that the lights are built to withstand all you can dish out. Plus the customer service is pretty good - if it breaks, they will help you out.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Second the remark about SureFire's lumen ratings. They are allegedly tested real-world (ie finished product in an integrating sphere), unlike most other ratings which are either taken from the LED specifications or determined under ideal lab conditions.

There are plenty of SureFire lights out there with lower numbers on paper that end up being far brighter than lights with better numbers.

berklee46

Newly Enlightened

Ok, the Surefire lights sound good, but let me run this by you...
I like the size and weight of the L4 or L5 compared to the L7, and aside from the L7 being rechargeable, they seem pretty similar. So, wouldn't it make sense to get the smaller L4 or L5 and get a few rechargeable 123A batteries and a charger, especially since the L7 requires the battery to be taken out to charge anyway?

Thanks again

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup - that's correct. However, you have to factor in the extra cost of buying rechargeables and their charger.. which would probably be as much as a complete L7 kit anyway.

You will want the Pila 168S battery and charger, because one 168S will replace two CR123s, and still supply enough voltage to allow the L4/L5 to operate in full regulation. Lithium ion rechargeables have higher voltage than normal 123 batteries, and that's what makes it possible. A single 168S is the size of two CR123s.

My own setup is a Surefire U2, running the larger 168A (L4/L5 do not support the higher-capacity 168A). This way I get six levels of power, rechargeable batteries, and the ability to fall back to CR123s should the need arise, ie. I forgot to charge the rechargeables, or some other unforseen circumstances. Remove rechargeable, pop CR123s back into the light, and I'm in business once more. The L7 does not support CR123s at all, so if you forgot to charge it, you're out of luck.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would go with either the L2, U2, or the L7 lumamax. They are excellent lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif (not that I own them...)

-tom

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

The L5, U2 and the L7 have similar beams. The L5 & U2 are shorter than the L7.

The L4 is much smaller than the L5. The L5 has a tighter beam than the L4. The bezel diameter of the L4 is about the same as the body diameter of the L5.

The L4 and L2 have similar beams. The diameter is about the same for both the L4 & L2, but the L2 is longer.

The L4, L5, U2 can use the Pila 168S. The U2 can use the Pila 168A, but the others can not.

The L2 & A2 can not use Pilas.

The L6 uses 2 Pila 150S batteries and has the tightest beam of the 5 watt Surefire lights.

I think it makes sense to use Pila batteries in a L4, L5, U2, L6 rather than get a L7.

If at all possible, get your hands on some of these lights before you buy. One of the guys I work with saw one of my custom lights based on a E2e PR and wanted one (this is about the same size as a L4, but the bezel is a little larger). I showed him a L4. He went to the Surefire web site and ordered a L5. I then took several Surefire lights to show him and he canceled his order for the L5 because of size. He said he was going to order a L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif He plans to carry it in his pocket.

If you are going to carry your light in a holster I don't think it matters as much as if you plan to carry it in your pocket.

scudinc

Enlightened

You have to first decide whether you want a light with a lot of throw or not. None of the Surefires have much throw, while the Inova will have a huge amount of throw.

berklee46

Newly Enlightened

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.
I ended up going with a Surefire L4 and a pair of Pila rechargeable batteries.

Jon Burly was great to deal with and got the batteries and charger to me within days of my order.
Surefire was also great to deal with when I ordered the flashlight. They offered a law enforcement discount which certainly didn't hurt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope to have the light Monday - just in time for my evening shift. What better way to give it a workout?

Unfortunately, I've gotten a bit of the flashlight bug and will be looking around to see what can replace my big Maglite rechargeable. I blame all of you for getting me hooked on this stuff! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

14C

Enlightened

You will LOVE you SureFire L4..I promise.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lightingguy321

Enlightened

berklee46 said:
[ QUOTE ]
TORCH_BOY said:

[/ QUOTE ]

There has actually been an update to the surefire L7 Lumamax, it is no longer a 75 lumen rated flashlight, it is actually a 100 lumen light now.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lightingguy321 said:
There has actually been an update to the surefire L7 Lumamax, it is no longer a 75 lumen rated flashlight, it is actually a 100 lumen light now.

Did they change the emitter, or just the lumen rating. I just saw an L7 for the first time at a cavers meeting. WOW, what a beautiful beam and tint!