newbie help with xenon or led waterproof flashligh

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Hi, first off I am pretty new, but getting addicted. Currently have TT2L, SL keymate, Dorcy AAA, and just ordered a Q3 and R123's. I have 2 unrelated questions. This will sound crazy, but I have a portable hot tub that works great (http://www.spadepot.com/warehouse/spa2go.htm) , but I would like to be able to put a waterproof flashlight in it for mood underwater lighting effect. I dunked my TT2l in LED and xenon mode for few seconds and it looks cool. It seems that the plastic propolymer ones probably float. I need one that sinks and can use aa or aaa rechargeables. I looked at the Princeton Tec line, but again it seems they will float. Maybe I will end up getting couple of Infinity Ultras. Would prefer a xenon because of its better output.

Second question is for summer boating I need a good light that I can use to spot buoy markers on lake for some inlets at night. It seems that maybe something like a Pelican M6, Strion wouldn't have enough throw and that I could just use my Walmart $3.50 lantern flashlight (had this before I found this hobby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). The throw on it is really good, but of course blotchy, etc. I was trying to find out of curiosity what the throw/overall numbers would be. Or maybe just get a Walmart rechargeable spotlight. Thanks for help!!! Phil

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
Another quick question. I have read conflictin remarks. I am just ordering r123's from Batterystation for my Q3 (get it this week) and was wondering if my TT2L could use the r123's if I replace the bulb with a strion bulb (not sure if that will even work).

farscape105

Newly Enlightened
ok, I guess I read that the strion, r123 wouldn't work. Also, I am looking at the princeton tec line for the spa. If they float, I could always tie a little weight to them. Can't wait to get QIII!!

Mark2

Enlightened
I know that the Princeton Tec Rage, Blast and Surge don't float, others probably won't either.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: newbie help with xenon or led waterproof flash

For mood lighting the best way to go is the Glo-Toob, IMO. Colors, strobing, awesome. .

For a spotlight, check out the 10MCP Thor. .

Mordachai

Newly Enlightened

Ok Pretty funny a newb telling a newb, but LOL
I have a surefire G2 and it doesn't float. I have the regular tailcap on it, but no water got in after a roughly 1 minute test. I was pretty impressed that it stayed dry, but actually was kinda shocked when it didn't float!!!

I'm looking for a light that will float, anyone have any suggs?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

A floating light?? Some of the Eternalights float.

rycen

Enlightened

The UK 2L might float??

scudinc

Enlightened

The Glo-Toobs are great, but the Inova X5 would offer more light. Neither uses AAs.

If a $3.50 light is working right now, then either a Strion or an M6 would be more than adequate for your long-range lighting needs. Even a 3, 4, 5, or 6 D-cell Maglite would do it (apologies in advance for having the gall to suggest that someone use a Mag).

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

For mood lighting, you might not want "more" light, so to speak. Hey, I wonder if there's a RGB Glo-Toob. If not, the Rave'n (I think) Eternalight would work well.

And for the same price as a 4D Mag (unless you can find it on sale someplace) you can have a Thor, which would clobber it into submission. .

davidra

Enlightened

I run a boat at night quite a bit. I also hate having to mess with charging spotlights, but use them if I get a chance. I looked quite a bit for something that would light channel markers from 50-100 yards in a small form factor. I wanted it to use lithiums so I could leave it in the boat. If I could find something that used LED's, all the better, but knowing that the throw would be a challenge. Here's what I use. First, a Streamlight TL-3 Xenon. Near the top of the throw chart, reasonably priced. Second, and my favorite, a 2C 3X123 Mag mod with GH24 bulb; even more reasonably priced, and I love the form factor. Third, an Inova T3. The LED makes me feel a little better about the possibility of a bulb burning out, but the fact is that none of these lights have a really great runtime. I have spare bulbs for the incans in the lights, which makes me feel more comfortable. I just received what might be the winner, though. I have space to store a decent sized light, so I got an EM Tristar Phazer. No lithiums, but huge throw and a wall of light, runs on 4 C cells, no bulb to burn out...plus a supposed 8 hour runtime. Now I just need to get out on the water and try it out. Any of my current lights work great for spotting markers with reflectors. If your markers don't have them, I'd stick with a spotlight.

Deanster

Enlightened

The HUGE winner in spotting markers from a boat is the Pelican Super Sabrelight 3c. Handheld form factor, dive-rated and a pencil beam that stabs out in the night like you wouldn't believe.

Yellow plastic body with a strong clip and lanyard included make it easy to find and keep. I just use Duracells, and they've been fine for a couple years of occasional use. Non-sparking, non-conductive, hazardous-atmosphere ratings are also good for onboard use - it's a huge bummer to accidentally cross terminals with your aluminum light...

Can't beat it for $25. I don't leave the dock without a Super Saberlight on board.

scudinc

Enlightened

Ohmyzombiethread! Sorry, I just remembered this. The Inova X1 is what you want. It comes in various colors, has negative buoyancy, is waterproof, uses AAs, and is cheap enough ($15) that you can buy several.