Opinions of Surefire Rechargables?

ksshooter

Newly Enlightened
I was first looking at getting the M3 for "Duty Work" and just getting the Pila rechargeable batteries and such. However after posting on many Police type forums many people are sugesting the SF rechargables. I think the 9AN is a good setup for me. I think the price would be more resonable than going the M3 route any opinions?

What are the drawback of using the Rechargables? Surefire's catalog states that Rechargables are not the best option for Duty Carry, I can't remember the resoning behind it? Please help a newbee out here? Thanks ahead of time.

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
i don't own any of it...they must be ok???
but 1 disadvantage is: you are stuck with their nicad batts, no option to use regular 123s.
IMO, PILA has the best rechargeable package, check out the G3 series(9v).
i own the clickie tailcap model & i'm very happy with it.
it is not a thrower but can light up your immediate front up to about 20-25 ft. brightly.
the beam can actually throw farther but not as intense.
it is a bit heavy but well balanced & size is just about right.

another option is the SF U2 & a couple of PILA 168As...more expensive & led light source.

joe

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

Rechargeables are the best for duty (everyday) heavy use as a "dutylight". This is general use everyday/everynight with charging the batteries after each day/night.

Rechargeables are not ideal for tactical lights (for use with firarms), and certainly not as WeaponLights.

Whilst LED lights are the fashion, there is still in my opinion much merit in an incandescent light especially if there is ambient lighting and use outdoors.

I have the 9AN (and another 9AN with TurboHead for a more intense beam) and I like them very much. The beams are powerful. The 9AN is quite a large and heavy flashlight compared to the ones I am actually carrying and using.

The 8AX and 8NX are smaller and the Nitrolon polymer (8NX) weighs less, but, I personal need a LockOut TailCap which the 8AX/8NX/L7 does not have.

I seriously suggest you trying a variety of "dutylights" before you buy. I've heard tell that people tend to try out a number of different lights in the same way as handgun holsters until they find something they like that works for them.

The SureFire L4 or SureFire U2 with Pila batteries would be an alternative to an incandescent. I know one Police Officer who uses the U2 and it is working really well for him.
Pila batteries are not SureFire and I don't personally have any experience with them yet.

I would guess that if weight was an issue I would have a U2 (Pila rechargeable) and a G2Z (with P61 lamp) as my two main lights and an L4 as backup.

If weight was less of an issue I would have the SureFire 10X and M3 (MN11 lamp) as my two main lights and my L2 as my everyday use/back up light.

I strongly suggest you discuss this with your fellow officers because they will likely be using equipement that works in the job you are all doing.

Al

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
ksshooter, I do NOT have any SF lights, but one of the Police Services near me issues its members with 8NX, and those members seem to really like them.

A lot of Units in my Division, including mine, have Streamlight Polystingers issued to the cars, with wired-in charger units.

I used to use the Polystinger in my patrol vehicle as my main duty light, but more often now use my Koehler Brightstar 3 D that I have modified to use 3 x 123A lithium disposables.

I have only had to draw my sidearm about 6 times in 29 years, and a shotgun once; combine that with carrying a S$W 5946 and being under strict policies of no unauthorized weapon modifications, I do not use weapon-mounted tactical lights.

It has only been since coming to this site that I realize the value of back-up lights and how FAR MORE OFTEN I have needed those than I have EVER needed my sidearm, let alone a BUG. I now carry a Pelican M6 xenon and Dorcy Spyder on my duty belt, plus have a Mag-lite 3 C modified to use 3 x 123A lithium disposables in the car.

The use of a rechargeable light as your main duty light IS a good idea, especially if you use the kind that uses power sources that require removing the source from the lighting tool body to then put the source on a charger so you can use one source, charge a 2nd source, then swap. The next best option then is a lighting tool that connects to a charger, so that when you do so, you then have an always-on-the-belt lithium-disposable-power-source back-up lighting tool. The lithium disposable will sit there, waiting to be used, and will have a very slow self-discharge.

Even with the removable power source main light, having at least 1 back-up light with lithium-disposable power source is a good idea just in case - unless you only carry 1 clip of ammo in your duty weapon, and even I carry 2 extra clips.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Pete, would you consider swaping your Peli for a Pila GL3? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Could someone please provide an output comparison of the high/low beam intensity of the SF 9X? low=... high=...
Thx.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M3 and 9AN produce about the same light output. The 9AN's beam is basically round and gives me the impression of being more "solid". It's difficult to explain.

I prefer the MN11 High Output Lamp Assembly in the M3.

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Pete, would you consider swaping your Peli for a Pila GL3? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Could someone please provide an output comparison of the high/low beam intensity of the SF 9X? low=... high=...
Thx.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you trying to make a deal, or just seeing what my opinion of the GL3 (R or 123A powered) is?

I just bought 5 Pelican M6 xenons (3 black, 2 silver) and an M11 (yellow, with 1 charger) from Pelican Canada for some of my partners as they were VERY impressed with the M6 (the M11, what can I say about yellow? That partner wants one that stands out). NONE of the people that I showed my M6 to were around me when I had the GL3R, although when I DO get that one back, I DEFINITELY will be showing it off!

PS - Battery Station's prices for the Pelican M6 xenon and M11, even with exchange, duties and taxes, beat the prices that I am getting the above lights for, so I think I may be doing some more dealing with Kevin in the future.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I should've been clearer, sorry. I am interested in your opinion between using the Peli vs. the GL3 as duty lights. You carry a Peli now, and also had high opinions about the GL3 and I'm wondering which one you'd choose if given an option. Peli's are about the same size as the GL3 (but the latter felt sturdier in my hand). The beams are different, with the Peli's hotspot being brighter than the GL3 from what I recall. So, given the circumstances when you need a light, which one would you choose?

Al, so having the high/low lamps in the same assembly does not affect beam quality in the 9X? Is this because of the type of reflector (what kind is it?)?

Thx, guys!

Edit for clarity.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Jumping in on this as I have 2 9AN's the low out put is a small ring of light around a large donut hole not impressive to me at all. The Hi out put is a really nice beam I like it quite abit. The 9AN was my third SF light and for quite awhile my favorite as the brightest. I had some problems with the B90 cell however I have heard that the B90 has been "fixed" by SF so newer ones should be good to go. I keep both of mine set on high beam all the time.
Hope that helps.
Topper

Size15's

Flashaholic
The B90 NiCad batteries have been fixed for a long time now.

Yes, the low beam of the 9AN (there is not "9X") is not pure - it is intended to provide enough light to read and write reports when you put the 9AN under your arm. The main beam is very pure.

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
al,

WOW...you have all the lights & in every configuration... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
that black 9AN w/ the KT head sure looks pretty.
if only you have the option to use disposables & lithium ion technology...

joe

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only disadvantage to a rechargeable light, most any of them is that you don't get that gradual dimming as a warning that your batteries are getting lower. With a nicad, the light will be fairly constant until just a couple minutes before it dies, and then it be sudden. Keep your liight charged, and it really shouldn't be a problem, especially if you carry a spare battery in your car.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi size15:

I am wondering how far does your 9N throw compare to SF 6P? Have you used the 9N in foggy or rainy conditions? Did it survive the intense rain ? How long did battry for 9N last during your longest use? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've been on holiday for a week (disconnected)

The 9N's beam is more powerful then that of the 6P. It's beam is larger, brighter and has a longer 'throw'. The 9N's reflector is larger. This makes the difference for 'throw'.

I've used the 9NT in foggy conditions - in fact this is the best type of atmospheric condition to use the 9NT in because of it's intense beam!

We don't have intense rain in the UK and if we did, I doubt I'd be out in it and even less likely I'd have my 9NT with me since I rarely use it and don't carry it much because it doesn't have a LockOut TailCap.

The 9N/9AN lasts about 40 minutes constant-on. It is extremely rare I've used a SureFire for more than 10 minutes constant-on though.

Al

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Topper,

The beamshaper helps a lot with the low output bulb pattern, smooths it all out (otherwise I would have traded the light in for an 8AN).