Streamlight Luxeon Jr. tailcap switch

asminator

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am thinking about buying the SL Jr, but I am worrying about the pushbutton switch. How far do you have to push the switch in to switch it on? Can it be switched on easily by accident if it is stuffed in the backpack? From that point of view I'd rather prefer a twisting switch...

Greets,
-as

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf,,

SL jr comes with the new version of Kroll switch. usually will not come on by accident, but could.

an excellent buy at $30!! nicely made luxeon light.

you need a lock out design like surefire or a twisty like ARC

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
The switch has fairly long travel and is quite firm. My sister has difficulty pushing the switch to turn it on. It has never turned on accidentally for me. It would need to be squeezed just so, perhaps by heavy books or something, before it would go on. I personally don't worry about it at all. I carry it in a backpack quite a bit. YMMV.

asminator

Newly Enlightened
How bright is the 1 Watt Luxeon compared to a normal light (i.e. MiniMag 2AA)? Is it compareable? Brighter?

Has anyone tried building in a 3W Luxeon? How difficult is it to disassemble the driver circuit?

OK, I thing I will just buy one and try it...

Greets,
-as

Raven

Enlightened
I purchased a SL JR, and the switch gave me nothing but trouble. I ended up returning it for a refund. Of course, my SL 7led also has a faulty switch.

Suffice to say that I am not a big fan of Streamlights.

asminator

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I purchased a SL JR, and the switch gave me nothing but trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

What trouble exactly?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jr. has quite a nice beam, kind of a combination of throw and flood. In a dark room, if you illuminate something within 3 feet or so, the light is almost too intense. Outdoors, on a dark night with no city lights, it will illuminate objects nicely up to about 125 ft. or about the distance between two telephone poles. It's nice for walks, since it lights up near and far objects very nicely. It's good too indoors for working on PCs, under desks, behind or under objects. Basically it's a good all round light. I run it on NiMH rechargeable AA cells and I've never paid a dime on it since. I think it's being overdriven just a bit, but I'm happy with that. If you run it for about 10 minutes, the area behind the bezel gets warm, enough to keep your hand cozy on a cool night.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice write up PhotonBoy - I will be willing to bet that my SL JR LUX will illuminate out to 200' quite easily w/o ambient light. How would I know, cause I run my dogs on a shooting range. The SL JR LUX is my goto light because I also run my on NiMH's it fits the needs quite nicely when needed as a general purpose light such as walking through the trails in the woods or going out to the woodpile to stoke the stove. When I run my dogs I grab my SL-35X running with x6 C Cell NiMH's.

Dave

2dim

Enlightened
Prefer my Lux.Jr. for close-up and indoors. Has turned on accidently in front jeans pocket, carried bezel up. Switch too stiff to keep clicking full on-off, so mostly I use momentary and hold it as needed. Light can also be held briefly in mouth when hands free required. Wouldn't want anything brighter in my small apartment, where smooth white floodlike beam is perfect. NiMH is great with the regulation.

Raven

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
asminator said:
[ QUOTE ]
I purchased a SL JR, and the switch gave me nothing but trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

What trouble exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't work 100% of the time.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Raven said:
It wouldn't work 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the batteries are low, it can give that impression, because it won't turn on if the initial voltage is below a certain level. It'll look like your switch is intermittent-if you let wait a bit and click it again, it'll come on, because the battery voltage recovers a bit.
I actually use that characteristic as a way to periodically check if one of the cells dropped out, to avoid trashing my rechargeables. If you just continue to use the light after it's on, it will continue running well into deep discharge, with no other apparent indications- not good for the battery that's dropped out.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the no-startup issue as well. I avoid the problem by running my NiMH cells for about an hour and then recharge. I've always got a spare pair of cells fully charged and standing by. It's definitely not a switch problem; it's a characteristic (problem?) of the regulating circuit.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
No problems here yet. my Streamlight Luxeon Jr. is my goto light for most of my close to mid-range stuff. I love it

asminator

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, very helpful

Anyway I want to persuade some friends into a group buy to save shipping costs, so I need a comparison of light output. Since the only lights everyone knows (and everyone thinks they are the best ones) over here (= Europe) are the maglights, I just want to make sure if I can tell them the Jr.Lux is far more powerful than the Maglite 2AA?

Greets,
-as

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The Streamlight Junior Luxeon is much brighter than a MiniMag, or in your words "the Jr.Lux is far more powerful than the Maglite 2AA". Your friends will not be disappointed with the Jr Lux if they are comparing it to a MiniMag.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the batteries are low, it can give that impression, because it won't turn on if the initial voltage is below a certain level.

That's it .... I had the same problem, thought the switch was bad but it's the batteries. Very nice light overall, no problems. A good combination between spot and flood.

Raven

Enlightened
I never used anything other than new batteries. Plus, who would want a regulated light that won't reliably work unless it has fresh batteries?