Inova X5T v. Surefire E1e w/KL1 head

rgc

Newly Enlightened
I got my Inova X5T in green on Friday, and took it on a hunting trip that night. All I can say is WOW! For twenty-six dollars this thing is one heck of a light. More than bright enough to check things out at night and nice knowing that I can use it for burning up the batteries that no longer fire up my G2s. I am now wondering how this level of bright ness will compare to a Surefire E1e with a KL1 head on it. I know that the Surefire combo will have a better light as far as less rings, however, what will be the difference in regards to brightness? Any help for those in the know will be greatly appreciated.

rgc

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
The new KL1 will kick the X5t's butt at everything except runtime. It's a LOT brighter, the spot is very tight, and it throws much, much farther. I've got a KL1 on an E1E, and it's a great little combo.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MrBenchmark said:
The new KL1 will kick the X5t's butt at everything except runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't exactly say that. In addition to superior runtime, the X5T costs considerably less, and gives more of a flood beam. Not everyone wants or needs a tight spot. I have both and use both, different tools for different jobs.

-Keith

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NeonLights said:
I wouldn't exactly say that. In addition to superior runtime, the X5T costs considerably less, and gives more of a flood beam. Not everyone wants or needs a tight spot. I have both and use both, different tools for different jobs.

-Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I over-generalized a bit. I agree about the cost and the flood beam, but honestly I have a lot of trouble finding a use for my white X5t. I have a red one, and use it at my dark-sky astronomy site, where it's pitch black. An X5t is a lot of light when it's really dark. In the city, where I'd tend to use my white LED X5t, the thing really doesn't put out enough light to compete with the streetlights that surround me. So mine sits in a drawer about 95% of the time. I've tried to use it - I really have! It's one of the first really nice lights I ever purchased. It's a nice light and it's built like a tank and a lot smaller and nicer to carry than the X0 and especially XO3. But in terms of being able to find what I'm looking for in the dark, the KL1 pretty much blows it away. The e1e/kl1 is easier to EDC, in my opinion. (Although one of the Peak LED single cell 7 LED lights would be easier still.) Hence, the "butt-kicking" comment.

If you like flood-type lights, though, you'll probably not like the KL1 - you are right about that. When I need flood, I use a SF L2. It would suck to try to change a tire with the light from a KL1.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the X5-T puts out too much light for pitch-dark use for you, you could use it like a lot of us do and use up your worn out batteries from your Surefire lights with it. It puts out considerably less light on "worn out" batteries than on new ones.

-Keith

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I should add that when I was using my new X5T it was in total darkness with very little light pollution (I was out in the country for the hunt). Hence, I thought it put out quite a bit of light and at $26 bucks it was quite the deal.

That said, I do like me some throw and might look around to putting together a E1e - KL1 light for fun. But first, I am still leaning toward picking up an A2.

Thanks again,
rgc

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is really an apples and oranges comparison since you are comparing a green floodlight with a white pencil beam. The KL1 will let you identify things farther away, but in a wooded environment, green light kicks a** (the eye is more sensitive to it and most things in the woods are green anyway. You also get the benefit of greater LED efficiency= way better runtime), especially in a flood so you don't have to pan as much to see your surroundings. I had this verified for me before I ever read about benefits of different colors: I found my tiny arc turquiose was lighting up the forest better than any of the multi LED white lights I had at the time. Summing up- green XT: better for walking around/general use; KL1: better for distance spotting (it will blind you close up).

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need a X5T to drain batts and to use in the dark. The arc aaa is retina burning, though not wide enough of flood

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
For things like hunting, camping, and fishing the KL1 is just about useless, except for times when you need a light with medium throw.

My only problem with the X5 is that it's a bit large for the amount of light that it puts out.

AlecGold

Enlightened
My old KL1 is doing a nice job with flooding and throw in a good combination.

The new ones are to tight, IMHO, especial for such a small light, which is often used for close by tasks.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally use my e1e+ kl1(new) more often then my X5T. It is significantly smaller and it throws allot further. It is the perfect emergency light.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-tom

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older KL1s are a different story, especially if you drop a nice high dome luxeon and a reflector in them.