Quick USL survey.

Would I notice a differrence between the 5mW and the 35mW?

• Fixed pack with beneath tailcap charger.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Removable pack

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question. There are two options with the USL.

Option one is an integral pack, fixed in the body. This is the safest and most easily built variation. The charger plug resides under the tailcap requiring only the tailcap be removed and the charger plugged in.

Option 2 is a removable battery. This complicates issues because I must then find a way to keep the battery pack fixed in place. This is doable, but complicates the build and makes it somewhat more expensive. It could probably still incorporate the under tailcap charging fixture.

Since this is a limited run time light anyway, I prefer option one, but will take comments on the options.

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How difficult will it be to replace the battery pack down the road with option 1?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be done by anyone with reasonable skills.

It just requires the silicone fixative be peeled out and the packs swapped.

The fixative is tough, but can be removed if you really want to do it.

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright Scouter & Codeman,

You won't wear out the battery pack with a light of this type. At least I highly, highly doubt it. We're talking 300-500 cylces. Trust me when I say that an Aurora class light is not going to be your EDC! You'll keep it around and get a rush out of lighting things up for short periods of time, every now and then, and that's about it. An LEO might keep this around as a portable blinding/spot light, but even then, it certainly wouldn't be a primary duty light (!)

Anyway, yes, I imagine that the pack could be replaced, even with option 1, but doing so might be a violent affair, depending on how Bill chooses to secure it in place.

Bill,

I would vote for option 1. KISS. (Keep it simple stupid). But I'm not buying one, so I will refrain from voting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

juancho

Enlightened
How expensive can an anular threaded ring be? You drop the battery and then secure it with a metal or plastic threaded ring, then you put the cap.
In the regular magcharger the battery pack is held in place by the spring. This light dos not have the spring but this ring can be machined to engage the extra treads in the body of the flashlight.
It doesn't sound to professional too change the battery and then seal it with a bathroom caulking gun!!
IMHO
Juan C.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weighed in with my 2 cents. I figure that since this is a burst-fire light, and not something that you are going to back-to-back full pack discharges with, I might not need a second pack that's field interchangeable.

When the time comes (if the time comes) for the pack to be replaced due to damage or otherwise, I will send it back to the master himself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Even my Mag85 doesn't have two sets of packs assigned to it, only the working lights do (and not all of them, even.)

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTT.

This light won't run while plugged into the charger will it?

Will the charger work if ran an automobile thru an inverter AC to DC?

Thanks

Curtis

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cue,

DC to AC maybe, depends on the inverter capacity.

It will not run while plugged in, that would be another circuit, but an interesting idea....hum...

Bill

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be really cool to be able to run it while it is plugged in.....especially if I can use the DC to AC capability from my truck. That way I can have the full brightness on tap at all times for spot light purposes while plugged in. And I could quickly be able to disconnect and go to fully portable for 17 min (or was it 12 min?) before getting back to the car to plug it in again. This way, you are never truely out of light if you run it down.

Thanks. Just my thoughts. Not trying to complicate things at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, and one last charger question... Can the USL be turned on IMMEDIATELY off the charger without possibility of harm or instaflash?

Curtis

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curtis, you're out of control, man. OUT of CONTROL! You know how hot the Tiger85 gets after 12 minutes, right? Now triple the power. You won't be running this light for even 10 minutes straight.

Plus, I don't know of any charger that will provide 11 amps of current, and certainly not the one I am making for the USL's. No way. No how.

Not to bash your idea or anything. It'd be cool (or rather VERY hot), but it's just not practical, I don't think.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim knows whereof he speaks on this topic!

I was thinking about a bigger bodied light that is still in the VERY EARLY formative stages and the implications thereof.

Bill

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim, yep that's me... insane wild man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No worries on my requests... I was just exploring all the potentials for getting into trouble.

My mind always likes the "what if..." questions. Sometimes they are out of control.

Thanks

Curtis