Inova X1 mod

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
i got an inova X1 because i liked the 1AA/runningtime/output
but the zero sidespill proves more of an obstacle than i had thought
so there are 2 things i'm thinking of:

1) an add-on lens/diffuser to just put in front of the normal lens that could convert/diffuse the beam to get some sidespill:
i tried with discs of different matte plastic sheets that let the inner half of the beam pass through a hole in the middle and just diffuse the outer rim, but i've not had much success (it either doesn't diffuse much, or just blocks the light)

any better ideas?

and 2) how about just getting the lens out and ending up with a naked 5mm led beam (like the infinity for example)
i know how to get out the head (the ice trick) but can the head itself be disassembled?
if not i could leave the head in and try breaking the lens out or just cutting away 2-4 mm of the front (the led would still be recessed enough) but i'd like to avoit this kind of "damage" if possible

for version 2) i also think of pouring a bit of epoxy around the led to re-seal it against water (maybe with a reflector too)

comments appreciated

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, take it apart and mod it. You can add a reflective coating instead of the antireflective coating on the inside. That might help.. If you replaced the led with one with longer leads, the led would be closer to the lens making a wider spot light. Leaving the lens open would invite junk to get in- you don't want that. But then all you would have would be an infinity ultra.

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
so, HOW can i get into the head itself?

i tried reducing the lens distance with a similarly focused light, it doesn't work, the beam gets a bit narrower with some sidespill occuring, but the 2 "pins"? of the led come into focus, leaving 2 dark radial lines with additional blotches in the beam (very ugly)