Anybody ever get a defective Luxeon?

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Gang,

I was wondering if anybody has received a dead LuxIII right out of the reel. I had 10 TWOJ's that I received several moths ago I had used 2 of them in Mag mods and they are working fine, I mounted 2 more on D O-Sinks for later use.

Well this weekend I build a new C size light and nothing so I pulled the emitter out and AA another in and nothing. I checked the 2 on the D size O-sinks by direct driving them with 3 Alkaline AA's and nothing.

I checked the other 4 emitters and nothing not a glimmer of light, so I'm thinking this is rather odd I thought Lumileds checked every emitter for binning and QC.

Has anybody else come across a group of defective Luxeons?

Later
Kelly

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok write this one up as bumbling ignorance I recently picked up some short pieces of Cat5 wire from a free source and made small test leads for LED's and also used on the Mod I was trying to make guess what if you wiggle the wire around it works…..It has broken points all through it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif nothing is ever free /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Later
Kelly

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Many years ago, I wired a machine using most of a 100' roll of Belden 18ga, 19-stranded. It had a problem. Took me a while to find the individual piece with the 1/8" gap in the conductor, which was invisable through the insulation. It was a brand new roll! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Larry

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I've run into that too, pulled new cable only to find out it came off the spool bad. Really aggravating! but better and easier to fix than a defective luxeon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,

How true, I use to pull cable as a part time job and ever now and then we would end up with a bad pull I just never thought the short pieces I was using would be bad but they did come off the end roll of a long stretch the phone company was putting up.

Eh' it was lying on the bench with in easy reach live and learn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Later
Kelly

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,

How true, I use to pull cable as a part time job and ever now and then we would end up with a bad pull I just never thought the short pieces I was using would be bad but they did come off the end roll of a long stretch the phone company was putting up.

Eh' it was lying on the bench with in easy reach live and learn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Later
Kelly

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
was the cat5 you used solid wire or stranded? Solid breakes so easy. I use stranded 22gauge wire for my luxeon mods. Yes it's big, but it's durable. (except the pvc jacket, I wish it was teflon, you gotta be carefull soldering)

rwolff

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

Oh I've run into that too, pulled new cable only to find out it came off the spool bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit off-topic, but when I bought a 1000 foot spool of Cat 5 cable (local end-of-line place had it cheap with bag of 100 connectors and a cable tester), the second thing I did (first was to try out the tester on a factory cable) was to put a connector on each end of the spool (in a cardboard box, with both ends accessible) and test my 1000 foot patch cable. In cases like this, "burning" a couple of connectors would be cheap insurance against trying to track down a bad cable after it's pulled.

The moral of the story is to test EVERYTHING before you do an assembly step that will make it harder to replace a bad component.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worked for one place so bad, they wouldn't even issue us cable testers.. "no budget".

We will never know why those 3 reels were bad...

And in the end we ended up buying our own cable testers, but too late to save us that day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Latest posts