how does everyone get to work?

DaFiend

Enlightened
So, which CPFers ride to work? I ride about 9km's to work in the morning, then on the way home i ride to the train station, catch the train,jump off at my station, then ride home. All up about 13km's. Anybody else jump on the treddly to work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edited subject line from who rides to work, to how does everyone get to work......

DaFiend

Enlightened
Re: Who rides to work?

hmmm. Snow makes it a bit hard.

Get some snow chains for your pushy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LITEUP

Newly Enlightened

It's about 7mi(11km?) to my work, but I haven't bought any rain gear yet and here in Houston Texas it rains every other day in the winter. Not to fear a summer drought should be here soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Tried it occasionally when I was younger and lived only 7 mi. from work. Just didn't like having to fight the cars and trucks for space. Not really worth the risk. This area is still not very bike friendly, but it's getting better. Now I'm old and lazier and 16 mi. from work, so I'm four wheelin'.

Geoff

DaFiend

Enlightened

i know what you mean by traffic. Thats why i leave at 6am. People in cars can be very inconsiderate! honking horns, hurling abuse occasionally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif Bikes have the same rights as cars damn it!
The bike i ride is pretty sweet. 21 speed mountain bike with front and rear shocks. Need to get it out in the bush though........

Damn bike is worth more than my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use a wheelchair and can not drive. I take the paratransit service in the city of richmond. I sometimes get dropped off at shopping centers and wheel myself where I want to go. I just manage to live away from the bus line and work as well from it.

DaFiend

Enlightened
I think i might change the Post subject to how does everyone get to work....... much better for everyone!

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two options.

Get up at nearly four hours before college starts, drive 15 miles to the nearest bus stop, pay £9.25 for the return busfare to Aberdeen...make the 40 minute bus trip to there...then wait for the connecting bus...if I haven't missed it...in the freezing cold, pay another £3 return, then walk half a mile from the nearest bus stop into college, invariably being late.

Or, get up an hour before college, and make the 45 minute drive by car. Which also works out cheaper. Occasionally it gets to 75 minutes if traffic's bad. Still way, way quicker than the bus. Plus warmer, more comfortable, more reliable (had one month where the bus left me stranded SIX times in twice as many days). And people complain we're not using public transport...I wonder why...

Oh...or I could ge the train...oh...there's a two hour gap between 7am and 9am. Clever planning. Oh, and the return fare is nearly £15 (for a 13 minute trip!).

If the system was there and useable, I'd use it. But it ain't.

So I'm making my contribution to global warming with a 17 year old car doing a 70 mile round trip four days a week.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
I walk to the train station, then catch the train two stations and i'm at work.

If the weather's ok, i'll walk all the way home. If not i'll catch the train home and walk from there.

I really want to get a bike so i can ride to and from work.

Geoff

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I walk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My school is about a mile and a quarter away. So, I do get some exercise.

DaFiend

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
I get up and walk over to the computer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Grrrr. I envy you...... i suppose its 9 or 10 O'clock too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Leeoniya

Enlightened
...no, that's not a new body kit.

vehicle.jpg

long story short... driving back from bowling, it's 9pm, dark, raining. SUV in fron of me tries to switch lanes and spins out. i cant stop in time at 40mph.

she has a LAPSED high-risk insurance but a valid insurance card, she gets issued a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. her insurance doesnt want to talk to me cause she wasnt covered, and i request documentation of the fact.

she pleads not guilty!!

i show up to a court date that's moved forward by a month, and show them the evidence of no insurance, she has the charge added to her ticket.

i will now be taking her to small claims. by definition, my car is totaled. (the repair costs are more than it's worth)...but it still drives like it did before, headlights work, AC is funky, but it's winter. hope i dont get pulled over for a cracked winshield or no rearview mirror. oh yeah, and my exhaust is rusted through, so it's nice and loud, and i dont think my emissions are passed cause i never went in because of my rusted through exhaust and would have faild. i was waiting till i got it fixed...and then..well. you see what then.

i'll be getting a new car this summer damnit. money i would rather be spending on lumens! i hope to get something decent in small claims.

my insurance only covers Bodily Injury, for underinsured or uninsured motorists, so they told me to go screw myself too.

*sigh*

DaFiend

Enlightened
yeah, riding is a fitness thing for me. Haven't done much sport or exercise since i smashed my knee when i was about 16.

Geoff, check out k-mart or similar....... they have bikes for like $100 i think. I wouldn't go out and spend big bucks or anything unless your real sure you're going to make use of it.