The Next Generation of TigerLight Upgrades

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is both a continuation of The TigerLight Upgrade Thread and an entirely new thread in its own right, which will take the TigerLight mods in a slightly different direction.

Many months and a good deal of field use of the Tiger11 and Tiger85 has given us a better perspective on these mods and their strengths and weaknesses. I am very happy with my ring-potting scheme for the WA TL LA's and I am very happy with the build quality of the drop-in battery packs. These mods allowed people to simply drop in a new battery pack and lamp assembly and have a 520 lumen or 800 lumen rechargeable light, although the 800 lumen Tiger85 did require a different wallwart and a modification of the plastic charging cradle circuit.

However, as has long been the concern, these lamps are being driven right to the edge in these configurations, and have very short life spans and are likely to blow if turned on hot off the charger on a regular basis. This is why I was forced to sell the lamps with absolutely no warrantee, even if they blew at the very first turn-on.

I did not and do not like this situation. To my mind, a light that can not be safely turned on when fully charged and hot is flawed. I mean to correct this flaw.

However, I will continue to support the Tiger11's and 85's already out in the field. Have no concerns on that front.

Nonetheless, I must insist that these two lights--the Tiger11 and 85--are not to be relied upon in critical situations, especially for LEO and Search and Rescue and military use. Always have a backup light.

The Tiger74, on the other hand, is proof against this flaw and is very reliable and not nearly as high-strung. Yet, even here, experience has proven that the stock battery pack is not up to the task of driving the 1274, so all Tiger74's should consist of both the battery pack as well as the lamp assembly, or they will fall far below the light to be expected from a 1274 driven to 7.2+ volts.

I will continue to offer the Tiger74.

As for the Tiger11 and Tiger85, I am leaning towards discontinuing these mods but I will be posting a poll on the subject to find out how people feel about them. They certainly ARE bright and white, and many (myself included) are not going to be concerned with the danger of insta-flashing and the cost of short lamp life. If enough of these people speak up, I will consider continuing to offer the Tiger11 and 85 in their current configurations, as well as the 2nd generation of mods which I am developing. (More on these later).

In consideration, the 2nd build run is postponed, as well as the last of the complete TL kits which was to go up for sale on B/S/T.

That's all for now, and feel free to post with questions or comments, but if they directly pertain to the future of the Tiger11 and 85, please post to the thread with the poll in it. Link will be posted below, after I have created the poll thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jim,

As much as I love my 1111, I usually run the 1274 because I can depend on it.

Just getting around to the SL35X. I love that beam...

Tom

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I've made a decision regarding the future of the Tiger11/85/74 and what to do about the next build run. It is posted in the poll thread hyper-linked above.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heads up for those who are interested:

I will be selling some Tiger85 kits and one Tiger11 kit on B/S/T in the next week or two (at the outside). These will be Gen 1 mods using the KAN 1050 and 1800 batteries, and I will be selling the battery packs at a discount.

I will not be selling the fourth and last of the complete TL kits which I had promised, because I need that light for my Gen 2 mods work.

The Gen 2 mods are waiting on a vital component for the moment, so that project is on hold until about the end of March.

Also, I will be doing the promised testing of the stock TL battery packs and a comparison to the KAN 1800 pack. Actually, I will be having SilverFox do it for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif His graphs looks so good and I think that having the Watt-hours gives a much better comparison between batteries than simply the Amp-hours.

And, unless something comes up, I have a window of opportunity to do a review of the Tiger11, MC60, Tiger85, and MC85, as well as the stock TL vs. the stock MC.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The master emerges from his dark laboratory, and speaks, and we listen in anticipation!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep up the good work Jim!!!

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't make me hurt you, Bill. I will. I'll fly right out there to the West Coast and give you the evil eye. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh NO!!! The EYE, not the EYE!!

BTW the USL bodies arrived! Where are my packs!!

Bill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
It pains me to say this, but the three KAN battery packs that I had on hand, and mostly completed, are all gone bye. I gave them their proper maintenance chargings and even some cycling, but the cells were old when I got them, and were probably sub-par or defective to begin with, and time has not improved them, even with cycling and a few ressusitation tricks I know.

So, I am not going to be able to offer the two Tiger85 and one Tiger11 kits for sale on B/S/T. Sorry.

My suggestion to anyone ordering NiMH batteries is to insist on knowing the date they left the factory, and if they are older than 6 months (or a year tops) do not buy them.

I will be offering the Gen 1 mods again (as well as the Gen 2 mods) once I start the 2nd build run, but they will be made with the Gold Peak 2000 and 1100 batteries, instead of the KAN 1800 and 1050's. When the 2nd build run will commence all depends on how long it takes me to make the Gen 2 mods. I am still waiting on an essential component, but I hope I will have it soon.

paulr

Flashaholic
Jim, what's the deal with the KAN cells? Was there a bad batch of them a while back? Or do they just go stale after 6 months?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably both. According to informed sources in the RC community, KAN has "lost the formula" so to speak. Don't trust them anymore. Anyone selling the KAN's is probably selling batteries that are way past their freshness date, or are flaky and of random quality and performance. www.battlepack.com is the one place I would trust if I wanted to buy more KAN's. I don't want to think about how much time and money I lost to this little KAN fiasco. Probably $75 and 20 hours.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, Jim. That's a bum deal. Thanks for the update. There's still a bunch of us out here who really appreciate your creations and really appreciate your integrity.

Josey

dwl1966

Newly Enlightened
Really looking forward to your Gen 2 mods and appreciate very much all your hard work and many hours spent on this project. Definitely will be looking to acquire the mod for my Tiger8 as soon as available. If there is a line up, put me in it...

Keep up the good work and just charge us all a little more to make up for $ and time lost!

Cheers!
Doug

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My Tiger11/KAN is still going strong. I leave it off charger for weeks at a time between charges and it seems to like that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Even if it goes Kaput I will have gotten much enjoyment from it and have my M6-R to look forward to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
BN,

In my opinion, all of the KAN packs which I released were top notch, good to go, and should last the full 500 cycles. It was only some of the last batteries that KAN made that have the problem, and I didn't sell any pack with low capacity. I did give one away, though. Any pack with a label and serial number is a "first quality" and delivered near the full 1.8 AH at good voltage under load.

dwl1966, thanks for the thumbs up. PM replied to.