KL3 and a G2?

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Just checking, but, if a head like the KL3 fits on the G2Z then it will also fit on the G2 correct? If so, I could make one of my G2s a decent LED light for fun and extended run time for just a little bit of cash by picking up a KL3.

Thanks again,
rgc

Phil_B

Enlightened
I think it fits fine,but it's also worth checking out the drop in led module from Bugoutgearusa. I bought one for my G2 and along with others,am very pleased with it.
I believe "Chop" can mod a KL3 too,which might open up new options for the future.
HTH,Phil. :)

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the KL3 will fit any light that uses the same threading. The C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3, 6P, 9P and the like share these threads.

The KL3 makes for a very nice every day light that isn't as hard on batteries as incans are, but you do lose some brightness and throw in the process. Hope this helps

-Mike

rgc

Newly Enlightened
It helps a lot guys, and let me say you both are rather quick. I will look into the drop in gear from bugout too. Right now I am just trying to expand my lights for different uses without costing me an arm and a leg.

Thanks again,
rgc

unclearty

Enlightened
It works just fine! My only complaint was because the body is made of Nitrolon, it's much lighter than the head...making it head-heavy. Otherwise, I liked mine alot.

Size15's

Flashaholic
P46.jpg

SureFire%20G2-BK-KL3-HA%2064.jpg

redcar

Enlightened
I agree with that being kind of front heavy. I have the same thing, G2+KL3, so I added a Z48 clicky. Perfect length and feel for my hands. I also sometimes use an AN14 with the rechargable battery.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
That little drop in module is definitely cost effective. My only concern would be getting the heat out.

Going with a KL3 is nice, but I've never liked the output very much. Not in stock form anyway. Getting a KL3 and having it modded is very expensive. I charge $81 for the mod on top of the cost of the KL3, but my mod will run for the long haul and it shrugs off heat. If you are just looking for a casual use LED add on for the G2, the drop in will probably do you nicely.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Below: G2 with "Chop'd" KL3: TWOK/27mm reflector/biased at 850ma.
standard.jpg

I love this combo. I've had Tony mod 3 of these and they all work like champs. It has the excellent regulated plateau of the KL3 with output and throw up there with the best Luxeon III lights. The runtime is commensurate with or exceeds other 2x123 Luxeon III lights.

Add a Z48/Z49 and an A19 extender and run it on 3x123 for even better runtime. It's a tough light and the KL3 handles heat superbly, even on the Nitrolon Surefires.

Britt

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats crazy! A kl5 on a G2Z!! Wow! Anyway... i found a Kl3 new in Cabelas for $50... Is it worth it? Would it work well with my G2?

-tom

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
ok now you guys have got me really interested, I was thinking about getting a SF G2 for work, now you say the KL3 head from the 6P will fit it. so a few questions for you about these lights.

A) will the Z49 click on lock-out tailcap for the 6P fit on the G2 for a clicky switch?

B) how does the G2 + KL3 work with the rechargable battery pack for the G2?

c) does the recharable batter pack work with both the G2 and 6P, and how well do they work, do they affect brightness much?

C) or can you get recharable 123's for the G2 that will also work in the 6P both with the KL3 head and the ican bulb?

D) the final question, how is the 6P for an EDC?

if all goes well I can get 2 lights with a bunch of add ons which I like. but that also means I just spent a heck of a lot more then I thought I would for a few lights.

thanks for the answers and advice.

Size15's

Flashaholic
A) Yes.

B) It should work but I've not tried it. I don't suppose it works as good as on the G2 powered by two SF123A batteries.
The G2R is quite a bit longer than the G2. Personally I don't think it's worth it.

c) The B65 NiCad battery stick is part of the KR1 Rechargeable Kit for the G2, and part of the KR2 Rechargeable Kit for the 6P.
The difference is that the KR1 kit comes with the AN14 Body extender made of Nitrolon polymer. The KR2 kit comes with the A14 Body extender made of Aluminium and black anodised.
I personally don't think the B65 has the power to be as bright for as long as a pair of SF123As. In this photo you can see how much longer the B65 NiCad stick is compared to a pair of SF123As. The Z29 Battery Spacer is used if you want to power the G2R or 6R (6P+A14) with two SF123As.

C) No. That I'm aware of there are no rechargeable 123A batteries that directly replace SF123A batteries in SureFire incandescent flashlights. The voltage of "R123A" rechargeable LiIon batteries is higher. Two should work in the G2 with the KL3 bezel attached. I have not confirmed, nor attempted this.

D) From my perspective the 6P does not make a good EDC flashlight because I need the flashlight to have a PocketClip. Also, the E2e is shorter and slimmer and weighs less. It is more idea for EDC. The 6P can be carried in a belt pouch or loose in your pocket. Personally I find this unacceptable. Too slow and too obvious.

The 6P and G2 are great bases from which to "build" a variety of SureFires. None in my opinion are ideal EDC lights for me.

I hope I have been able to answer you questions?

Al