QUESTION ABOUT SUREFIRE L1 OR KL1

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Does the L1 have a KL1 head on it?
I remember reading that the L1 has some built in circuitry.

Can someone (size15s maybe) enlighten me on these.

Thanks much,

Dave

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1 has the circuitry built into it, with the L1 head being "dumb" (no circuitry, just the LED). Having the guts of the light in the body is why the L1 is longer than the E1e, which also uses one cell.

-Mike

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
The KL1 has the circuitry built into it, with the L1 head being "dumb" (no circuitry, just the LED). Having the guts of the light in the body is why the L1 is longer than the E1e, which also uses one cell.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Mike, That helps a bunch!
I was looking for a L1 body for my KL1 head (as you know)
and just happened to think there was a difference.

I'm glad I asked!

Now I guess I just need to get a whole L1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the speedy reply and information.

DAve

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest L1 with Lux III is a terrific light: great light output, excellent beam, simple to operate, extremely rugged. My favorite light overall, and I have a lot of great ones.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a guesstimate, OK: I was out last night with my ARC4+ and my L1 (latest version). The light output of the L1 on high wasn't quite as strong as the ARC4+, and the 4+ puts it's light into a somewhat broader beam overall. That's my recollection. On high, for most applications, there's a lot of light that comes out of the latest L1. On low, in general I'd say there's more than enough light for walking around in dark situations. For my purposes, slightly less light output on low would be just fine, but the way it is I don't often have to switch it to the high mode (except to see the excellent beam in the night sky)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Everyone is talking about the "old" and "new" L1.

What are the pluses and minuses between the 2.

I heard the new L1 has a tighter beam, but is not any brighter than the old one.

Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L1 has a TIR optic just like the KL1.
The L1's output on high is similar or perhaps a bit higher to the KL1.
That's my understanding anyway.

The L1 bezel looks like this:
(any other version is "old")
img_2507.jpg

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, can we buy those "new" L1s yet? All of my L1s keep whispering in my ear at nights that they are lonely and need a "new style" one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

cia

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
Al, can we buy those "new" L1s yet? All of my L1s keep whispering in my ear at nights that they are lonely and need a "new style" one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can get the new style L1's
I have one coming from a Surefire dealer in NY.
I emailed him the link to this post and asked if it was the new style L1 showen in the photo on this post and it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I should have in Saturday morning.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool... now there is another light on my "to buy in the near future" list. Hopefully someone will find the beam a bit narrow and one will end up in BST with my name on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the new L1's look like Al's picture, then the one I bought just last month is an "old" one, but I believe it has a Lux III in it because of the light output. It also has an optic in it that looks exactly like the optic in my old ARC LS First Run. The beam of my L1 is nothing like the beam on my new KL1 head.

I'd like to know for sure where to find an L1 that looks exactly like Al's picture above. I haven't seen one anywhere and there are several SF dealers here in LA.