Diamond 1W vs 3W LEDs

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. So I was looking on Quickbeam's review of the Diamond LED replacement bulbs and was noticing how close the throw and output of the 1W regulated bulbs were to the 3W bulbs. I've also read (I think on Craig's page) about how hot the 3W bulbs get. I guess my question is other than bragging rights or that last 5% or 10% of output, is there a reason to go with the 3W? Do the regulated 1W lights run cooler than the 100 Celsius of the 3W?

I'm more concerned with output than throw with this light so I'm probably looking at the side emitters. I'm looking at either blue or royal blue.

Luxeon III Side Emitter 4000 (63.25) 4000 (40.00)
Luxeon III Lambertian 4750 (68.92) 3000 (30.00)
Luxeon I Side Emitter Regulated 3850 (62.05) 4300 (43.00)
Luxeon I Lambertian Regulated 4500 (67.08) 2870 (28.70)

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
cratz2, I have a 3w side emitter in my 3D Mag. I like it a lot. I've seen the reviews about the heat issue, and so far I've had no problems.I left mine on overnight for 10.5 hours with slightly used 1.4v batteries and it is fine. I have used it every night to walk my dog. Maybe 15-20 minutes of use and after 2 months I just changed to new batteries. It is more of a flood light that covers/throws maybe 75 feet easy. That is when it is focused to it's tightest spot. Tons of white useable light,but no real spot with 100 yard throw. I just ordered a 1w with driver/high dome.That should make a longer throwing spot and I will post results next week sometime. If you want output and flood,the 3w is great.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... I usually want more of a flood than tons of throw, esp with colored lights. But I think after all this thinking, I'm just going to order a royal blue mitter from PhotonFanatic.

Did you have a pleasant experience when you ordered yours? I'm sure I'll eventually order something from them.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
No problem at all with my first order. My second order is waiting for a 1w mini mag LED before they can ship. I emailed to see what was going on and they got right back to me. They should have it Monday and ship soon after.