Just bought a 6d m*g, P90? W/A? other mod?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I just bought a 6D m*glite. Played with it for 20 min, and already I am thinking about modding. I really want a surefire M6, but the finances just aren't there right now. First and foremost, I want THROW and OUTPUT... but I have become accustomed to the smooth "surefire" like beam, and whatever I do, I MUST stay with using 6 regular alkaline D batteries. As far as runtime is concerned… I only want more than 3 hours.

I have a few ideas but would like to hear about ANY others.

#1 M*G-FIRE.... take a P90 lamp assembly and put it in. If I did that, how many lumens would I be making? Would I be making the same 125 lumens? Also, what would the runtime be?

#1a Could I run a P91? If not, could some one please tell me what the amperage limit is on alkaline batteries? I notice all the "super-m*g" mods are made with rechargable batteries because, "alkalines don't supply enough current." Well, how much current CAN alkalines supply... so I can stop asking such dumb questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#2 Some type of welch allyn bulb, a metal stochastic reflector, and an UCL. If I did that, what type of W/A bulb should I get? Also, should I just switch to the Magcharger switch that takes bi pin bulbs? Keep in mind I will be using 6 alkaline Ds. Would ANY W/A bulb work? What kind of output? What kind of runtime?

#3 Just get a xenon 6D m*g bulb and a metal stochastic reflector?

#4 Get a krypton bulb designed for the 5D and over drive it?

#5 Some type of Lux V setup?

To rehash… I want a bright, smooth, throwing beam.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Oops I forgot #6

#6 Throw away the m*g and ban myself for being so stupid as to buy a m*glite.

Thanks Everyone.

SS

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wire-tied a P91 to a Mag once, worked great on two lithium ion batteries.

D-sized alkalines should be able to cope with a 2A current draw. The 1A of the P90 will be quite kind to the batteries and you will get awesome runtime. 2A should also be possible, Duracell mentions something like 1-2 hours of runtime at a 2A discharge rate depending on how deep you want to discharge them. Which is quite something considering a P91 will shred 3 lithium 123s in just 20 minutes.

At 1A you're looking at something in the region of 6-8 hours. Alkalines can deliver the current, just that their capacity suffers horribly at higher current rates.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Just now as I collect the parts for some Superm*gs, I have only one together.

I am running 6AA NiMH rechargables against a stock M*gcharger bi-pin bulb. Smooth beam it is NOT! Throw monster it IS!

Last night the air was quite thick with moisture. The beam looked AWESOME shining up/out into that!

For you to do that you would need to get a MC Switch assembly and do minor surgery to make your m*g a bi-pin.

The easiest thing for you to do is put a M*g Xenon Star 5 cell bulb in the light. In my experience the tight focus beam is ALWAYS made better with the Xenon Stars.

And to get a smooth beam you need some Writeright PDA Screen film or an Acrylite Diffusing lense. Alternately you could order UCLLDF lenses from sponser Flashlightlens.com.....

Has this helped?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I remember reading somewhere.... and i forget where, so dont hold this against me... that the 5cell "m*gnum" xenon bulb doesnt like to be over driven, but that the 5 cell m*g krypton bulb can handle it.

thanks for helping guys... i appreciate it.

SS

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
For a time I had 5NiMH AA driving a 4 cell Xenon Star... so I believe 6 against a 5 cell would live. When I hit the 4 cell with 6NiMH... POOF!

A 4 cell Krypton MAY not flash on 6 cells...

Were all my stuff out of storage, (moving friday finally!) I would gladly test some of this stuff.

What I usually did to my M*gs was put an extra C cell in them. Once you get over 4 cells, the overdrive level gets more favorable to bulb life. 7 against 5 is something I will try!

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
ok, so it looks like the 5 cell xenon m*gnum star will not blow.

which will smooth the beam out the most, but STILL give GOOD throw? A fivemega MOP reflector, or a LDF lens?

I was thinking going to a fivemega mop, and a UCL.

????

SS

AW

Newly Enlightened
A 6 cell xenon star will not flash on 8AA 2500mAH NiMh plus a runtime of about 3 hours straight. Tried that on my Mag 2D and a vintage mod.