HP ousts CEO Carly Fiorina

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if it was her doing but they really cheapened the product line. They should have kept the ACO around and let them branch into pda's and such to make a nice high end product, there is a demand for high end calculators and tools but they tried to compete in the low end quantity market which is already saturated.

*Retired*
Well, HP spun off their LEDs with Agilent, then Agilent spun off LumiLEDs with Philips, so all things good about HP gone now?

The company was founded on test equipment made by Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard, so things are well off the beaten path...

I personally could understand her as CEO, at least someone there finally made a wise decision.

What does HP do anymore, besides make printers, the company doesn't seem much more than another Packard Bell anymore...
A number of HP CD-RW drives here are nothing more than re-badged Sony products, and I've re-flashed a few with Sony firmware....

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I took my hp cd burner apart after it died it was a Sony too, no wonder it died.
I wish they would bring back the ACO and a few of the other departments. Their network gear was nice too.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I worked for a series of computer companies (Vanstar, Inacom, Custom Edge, Compaq Direct, Compaq and finally HP) though I always worked at the same building and never quit or got hired... just companies kept buying one another and changing names.

I think Carla got something like $17,000,000 when the deal was closed to 'merge' Compaq with HP. There were many 'behind the scenes" reasons for the merger which included Vanstar/Inacom's customer base and HP aquiring Compaqs server line.

But, as with all mergers, 10,000 people were slated to be laid off because of the merger. Mostly sales offices which would be nearly duplicated with the merger. When I started, the people that built (and/or customized) the computers were knowledgable folks that were expected to know how to tear a comnputer down, troubleshoot it, and fix it with little help. Now, computers are made on an assembly line and I think they specifically seek out people with zero computer experience. You don't really need to be able to read and write to work in many positions now. Scary thing is, they cut about a third of the quality department as well. That's where I worked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

More and more of the base builds are done in the US (sometimes in the same HP building) but by a Chinese company though they are trying to retain many current employees. I remember when Compaq was a company you could be proud to work for. Not so much now with HP.

As far as actual components used, most companies use other vendors products. IBM, HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway all have used or do use NEC, Sony, LiteOn, Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, ATI etc components. That's just the way the industry runs and shouldn't be held against them in particular.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, all of my business college books praise her and her policys she brought to the business world, not to mention being a women first at her field. Oh well.

MicroE

Enlightened
I will not miss Carly. She epitomizes much that has gone wrong in corporate America.
I used to be a loyal HP customer. But, I have been forced to move away from their products because the company has been ruined by bad management decisions. Second-rate product designs. Poor quality. Poor, poor HP.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got to agree with PhotonBoy about the original merger. Was so strange to me at the time and all they have done since then is go downhill.

But I have to disagree about being an iPod distributor. That was brilliant. They do nothing but ship it to the stores that already have an HP distribution agreement and pocket their cut of the profits. Apple doesn't have the distribution contracts in places like radio shack and wouldn't be able to nail down the details in anything near the timeframe that they were able to get iPods into stores with HP. win-win, everybody makes money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I agree that the iPod arrangement is easy money, but HP's motto is "Invent", not "distribute". Where's the 'invent' here? HP should be inventing HPods that are better than iPods and competing with Apple. Distributing the iPod is an admission of failure in their aim to 'invent'.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
I agree that the iPod arrangement is easy money, but HP's motto is "Invent", not "distribute". Where's the 'invent' here? HP should be inventing HPods that are better than iPods and competing with Apple. Distributing the iPod is an admission of failure in their aim to 'invent'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats before Carly Fiorina destroyed whatever good was left in the company. IMHO, HP is nothing more than a label to hawk wares under, anymore. Talking about gutting a company and leaving a skeleton in place, very sad.

Skeletons don't invent or innovate. Just more of the same.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
I have to confess that HP screwed the pooch when they spun off their instrument devision. Some of the best test gear has the HP tag on it. These were professional tools, state of the art in industry.

I used to calibrate the HP 745 and 746 AC calibrator.
A brute of a gizmo, but very simple to operate.
I have an HP 3456A DMM, even at 25 years old it's still impressive. Wonderful gear, great manuals, inteligent design. A sad situation.

I know gotz about the LED devision, and was not impressed with their computer gear.

Later guys
Jack Crow in the first world

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
She was paid even more when she started with HP in 1999.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2005/02/15/258.html

"The severance, and her compensation of $8.15 million in 2004, raises Fiorina's total payout from Palo Alto, California-based Hewlett-Packard to $188.6 million since she was hired in 1999. That includes $65.6 million worth of shares that she received when she was lured from Lucent Technologies."

*Retired*
Yikes, 188.6 million would have paid for alot of engineers and production folks over six years....and they wouldn't have had to hack the whole company to a skeleton.

Imagine what 15,000 additional folks could accomplish in six years...