Built a Mag85, lol like everybody else.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, again, thanks to Gensing for making the bi-pin slug GB a posability.

I finally broke down and bought a 3D host to throw this stuff in. followed gensing's slug transplant instructions to the letter. installed the bulb, loaded up my 3aa-D's in serted them, threw the switch and i must say i was totally suprised by the results..

IT DIDNT LIGHT UP.

checked the switch 3 times, checked all my cells, checked my adapters, all checked out. and after all that i re-assembled it, switched to the 1 other 1185 that i had and it worked. was a litttle yellow since i am using crap old cells but it lit. Looks like i got a bad bulb in the batch of 2 i received. lol

Moral of the story,, check with a spare bulb before you go crazy tearing crap apart. Now all i need is a few new cells, a better charger, and a few more 1185's just in case.

Shane

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't throw that bulb away!

The 3 to D's are notoriously sensitive to spring placement and pressure.

Try placing a washer or coin on the bottom of the bottom 3 to D, (A quarter or Sacajawea doller works fine) and then replacing the end cap.

It took me 3 or 4 tries several times to get spring placement right and make a solid connection before I did this trick. Now I use copper washers from Ace Hardware.

Bill

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely! Check the tailspring contact on the last 3-D adapter. The contact plate is notoriously small and sometimes I find a wad of aluminum foil does the trick.

I have never seen a "bad" WA01185. They're either crazy bright or they blow up. I'd definitely check all contacts.

Wilkey

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hallis, just FYI, Wilkey is Ginseng, not Gensing; like the tea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

juancho

Enlightened
I use the top (nipple part) of a Duracell "D" battery, it is very easy to get this out from Duracell's.
Litho 123, show me that trick.
Also I run into a 3 to D adaptor the other day that was quite balky, for some reason it refused to work at times, sending not electricity. At others times it was o.k. I cleaned the contacts inside with a pencil and eraser end running in my drill.
I marked this adaptor with a marker pen and every time I am going to load it in the flashlight I check it with a battery tester.
Make sure that the end of the flaslight and the cap interface are corrosion free and clean of lube. I use emery paper to brigthen this contact.
This is also your safety, you put this on by twisting the cap half turn, and breaking the electrical contact.
Juan C.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might check the suspect bulb with an ohmeter.

Was trying to get the heater to work in my daughter's old truck Monday night. First thing I did was to look at the fuses and they all looked good. After tracking down current with a VOM I finally concluded that nothing was coming out of the cab. I pulled the fuse and it had no continuity. Upon close examination it looked perfectly good, but was blown probably at one end or the other where it couldn't be seen, and not the center.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
there was good contact with the adapters, i made sure. Was the first thing i checked.

Shane

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
didnt close it, i basically bridged the contact between the end of the last adapter and the end of the body tailcap spring. And i swapped the bulbs out twice to confirm it. One works, the other doesnt.

Shane

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, rest assured it would have to be me to be the lucky one. Seems to be the way of things. If it werent for bad luck i would have no luck at all.

Shane

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The first time I loaded an EL 3toD I got something wrong.

Once I figured it out, I'm driving a stock MC Bi-Pin bulb with two of them to pretty nice brightness.

By default I mod the end of the tail spring. First learned it using 123 in M*g C!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Shane,

I hear ya about luck. I'm hoping that my L4's encounter with the snowblower will be the last bit of "bad" for a while.

Wilkey

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 50 cent US coin makes a great washer for D mag light customs that needs more pressure. I have several of my modded MaGs which needed it. They fit just perfect. Never had a loose connection again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

And only cost 50 cents, availible at any bank.

NikolaTesla