KL-1+ VG FB-1: I rate A1! (with one exception)

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got to use my KL-1 with the vital gear FB-1 in the right setting (night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) And as of now, my favorite setup. I have encountered no problem's with the FB-1 switching, and since i got screwed by SF,(charged for 2 KL-1's, got one, won't send me 2nd) at christmas time i never got use my soon to be wife's KL-1 except indoor's, before it went into her purse, and I went on the road. got back and ordered from meridian tac(thank's Chris you rock!) and got it monday.
I played a 10k seat venue in which i could light up the back wall, and knew i found my new EDC.
PLUS's:
throw,throw, throw, this thing is a flame thrower, and I am all about throw. i have a hard time believing it's 15 lumen's.

The Beam:
exactly the beam I would design if i had a FL company.
It's bright,
tight beam broaden's at the right point for the amount of light given, in other word's, the point at which it begin's to
lose power, it's opened to a bit more flood and bath's whatever your marking, with beautiful white light! (not the laser beam i was expecting, some of you guy's exagerate a bit too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )and at that point it's farther then i can focus my eye's anyway.
I also noticed when using it up close that the very outside part of the corona, is plenty bright to say check the wall thermostat, or watch. yeah it a dead between the hot spot and the outside ring, but by pointing the hot spot hard to the side that corona edge is perfectly fine for low light
need's in a pinch. (no, you wouldn't want to use this light for all closeup work just saying if it's all you got it will do the job.)

I only own a few bright luxeon's, and tried other's, but this is the whitest i have seen, and i wonder how much the tiros (SP)is responsable for the color, and beam shape. i have tried a new inova with that and it was similar beam, but not as good color wise, SF has this down. (the inova was rated much higher in lumen's too, but wasn't nowhere near as bright and far throwing)blow's my ARC LSH-P and Q-III away.

THE EXCEPTION:
SF HA-III? not "III" enough. I dropped it last night from knee high on concrete and it hit the bezel top, then rolled a few feet before i got it. there is now, a good amount of nick's outta the the rounded battery end of the KL-1, NONE outta the tail of the VG body. I don't now if it's the aluminum being softer, or the HA not as good as it could be. I have had drop's worse on my ARC LSH-P, E2d and E1e and not had the carnage. I even checked the site and packaging to make sure it was HA-III. Sorry surfire, not good enough, your slipping.
since i got the E1L put away in my nightstand drawer for home use I haven't compared beam's, so maybe i won the lux lotto on this one, but none the less, the whole small setup
kill's, and i intend to order another one just like this.
as always imho, ymmv, never pet a burning dog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif VDG