9P v. TL3 Lumens & Run time

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've lurked for a while but now have a question that I can't find an answer to. As I understand it, the newly resurrected SF 9P can be configured to generate 105 lumens w/ a runtime of ~60 minutes while the TL3 Xenon generates b/w 175 - 200 lumens w/ the same run time of 60 minutes on the same batteries. What's the deal? Is Streamlight seriously fudging on the lumens or do they know something Surefire doesn't? Or am I confused? Thanks in advance. Great group of folks here.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

I would like to see runtime/output plots for the SureFire 9P & M3, Streamlight TL3 and Laser Devices OP-9 and any other three-123A flashlight (incandescent) on the market.

Al

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
O have owned both.

The SL TL-3 has a bit more throw, I think due to the larger reflector (sort of a turbohead), but I think they are close in overall output.

Both are very nice lights.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I am operating off the published specs for these lights.

JohnK, if they are close in overall output (and I'm willing to take your word for it) why the disparity in the lumen specs?

I do recall recently looking at a comparison b/w the TL-3 and an M3 and the TL-3 appeared to have a tighter hot spot - I was surprised. The only "downside" to the TL3 is that it won't accept pilas and the 9P should. The TL-3 seems like a lot of light for the money.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire to do rate their unregulated lights in terms of "peak" output that may only last for a minute or so from fresh batteries.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bloodnut,
It also speculated here that Surefire does their lumens ratings with the bulb in the flashlight, where other manufacturers do a lumen rating of the bulb itself. Since there is a loss of light due to reflector properties, lens, etc. Surefire ends up being a little more accurate about how many lumens actually are coming out of the front end of a light. (and yes, some companies do inflate their lumen outputs by as much as 100%!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
According to Quickbeam, TL-3 and M3 have the same overall output (~ lumens). So my guess is the 9P would have the same output.

Latest posts