San Diego??

matt_j

Enlightened
I'm going to be there for two days... Besides Koalas in the zoo what can you do there? Or should I just skip it and go straight to mexico?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Go to the beach, visit the historic Hotel Del Coronado and have dinner, then go to Mexico. If you have time drive a few hours North into the mountains. Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear.

If it gets boring..Buy the newspaper and look at the real estate ads. The prices of houses out there always crack me up.

Beyond the above you need to get advice from someone that knows what there're talking about because my few trips out there only make me dangerous.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Head over to the aircraft carrier USS Midway downtown. You can tour lots of it--including aircraft on the deck and in the hangar, the berths and the superstructure. They also have the HMS Surprise from Russell Crowe's movie Master and Commander and the Star of India. Midway Homepage

If you are into airplanes, check out the aircraft museum in Balboa park, across the street from the zoo.

Silver Strand is a nice state beach south of Coronado. You might see the Navy SEALs doing their thing just north of there.

The Gaslamp area downtown has lots of bars, bistros, and clubs.

Be careful in Mexico. U.S. State Department issued an advisory for U.S. tourists because of the killings and kidnappings going on there. Law enforcement is . . .different than here.

AnotherDaveH

Newly Enlightened
I agree with what Lightraven said, re: Mexico.

Point Loma is worth a visit. You can also grab a ferry from downtown to the east side of Coronado. There are several parks and eating establishments right near the dock. If the weather is OK, watching the sun setting on SD from Coronado is something I've never tired of seeing.