Anyone using battery station R123's with a KL-1 ?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone using battery station R123\'s with a KL-1 ?

I love the new KL-1 got another on the way, and a HDS basic 60.
So I want to try the rechargeable 123's with these light's mostly in a 1x123 VG body, but maybe on a 2x123 sometimes?

So will the Extra voltage not harm the KL-1 in 1x123 trim? and what about 2x123?
How about my ARC LSH-P?

also even after reading from the search engine, I couldn't
find a comparison of run time on the R123 vs a regular throw away CR123's.
Anyone know the run times for both in a 1x123 using a KL-1?(or any comparable setup)
The BS R123's sound real good from what i am reading on the thread's. VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone using battery station R123\'s with a KL-

Thanks Kev, good reference page. Is this info pertaining to just pila's, or BS 123 too? didn't see them mentioned by name, and one member had some wide run times between the JSB and BS cell's in a Q-III (QIII rechargeable thread).VDG

Niteowl

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
voodoogreg said:
.......I want to try the rechargeable 123's with these light's mostly in a 1x123 VG body, but maybe on a 2x123 sometimes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Talked to Kevin yesterday asking if these were protected cells. Yes they were and they work great in the KL1 1x123 format (another discussion), but don't work as well in a 2x123 set-up. I don't know the technical reason, so I can't clarify his comment. Something about the protection circuits conflicting with each other?

Mark

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless I read something wrong, the Battery Station R123s are protected in the sense that they are short circuit protected. From what I understand, they are NOT over charge or over discharge protected. When running two unprotected li-ion cells in series (like in a 2X123 light), you run the risk of one battery charging the other to a point that the other is over charged and then explodes.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the BS R123s are protected, but then they aren't. They should be fine in a 1X123 configuration, but running two in series might be dangerous.

If someone has information to the contrary, please say something. I'd love to take advantage of those inexpensive R123s.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ran a BS R123 in my X4T and when it shut off (instantly) after a long while, I measured the voltage and got a 0V reading.

If I were to guess, I would say it has voltage protection to keep it from going under 2.6V. I also ran one to near depletion in my KL4 and it measured 2.6V.

I run 2xR123 in my Nuwai ALX-352L and have had no problems with it at all. I hope it doesn't one day do something bad like blow up but for the moment, no problems.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's good news. If it has overdischarge protection, it may, in fact, have over charge protection too.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I put it in the charger, it never goes over 4.19V but I guess that could be the charger itself. BS calls it a smart charger.